• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Real CB Radios are side mic

GALAXY DX-959b
1C92292B-6914-4D7C-9633-53D40239D1DF.jpeg

Have posted on this before, but after nearly sixty-days on the road (600-hours):

At o’dark o’clock till just past sunrise audio tone setting of High + ANL (only) using a WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP SPEAKER maximizes rural listening range when mobile.

There can be occasions during the day this also works (terrain). Though, generally, Medium (without ANL/NB) is easiest on the ears as the main setting.

From Medium as SOP starting point (AM & SSB):

1). One tone step harsh.
2).
Five tone steps soft.

— These adjustment are in advance of turning the radio volume down when hash be harsh.

a). Which is itself prior to using ANY Squelch.
b). Is in advance of reducing RF Gain.
c). DSP Speaker still at minimal filter.

Am able to keep closer to the rivers main current versus drifting towards the banks.

This AM/SSB single-final radio does not have to go nearly blank in reception during highest/worst mid-day atmospheric noise. Available filtering choices ALSO maximize the DSP Speaker capabilities.

Granted, it may get turned down I’m on a phone call with another driver. (We usually leave them up as using the radio isn’t unusual during a phone call. Getting into some consignees is a bear, etc).

I wouldn’t try to sell a Joe Generic truck driver on how useful are these fine level of changes, but, for a first-class DSP installation mobile or base, the DX-959b will stay a step ahead of your outboard gear.

I WILL try to be persuasive in recommending a DX-959b where a REAL radio with a REAL antenna system is wanted. The men who understand that compromise is undesirable for the peace of mind a first class Citizen Band Radio delivers.

FWIW, having practiced route diversions on a regular basis for nearly a year, the expense of added miles can be justified once best parameters are understood. (The cost of fuel comes straight out of Net Profit).

On a daily basis a side mic radio is a home run.

Last edited:
Thus, time it is to fire off the six 152/cubic inch cylinders of an X15 Cummins.

Get that big crankshaft it’s own song as the oil temp comes up past 150F. (Variable Vane turbocharger).

(click on link) Helen Dell, 1970s Dodger Stadium Organist, in, (great arrangement & performance) Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

Weather bad out ahead?
Traffic heavy? Accidents?

Won’t matter. Got a side mic.

Last edited:
Those X-15's sound like a sewing machine that's about to blow up when they go by me!

JD

Those are the Detroit’s, Paccars & Maxxforce.
In Peter-Eaters, Freightshakers & Cornbinders (ha!)

I cruise 70-MPH at about 1,400-RPM.
Weed burner exhaust. More rumble than a little 13L.

Engine fan comes on hard/fast when called for in all of them (maybe?).

12-Auto trans sounds?

Or maybe it’s the inverter since they’re playing video games while rolling. I’ve had some unreal stitching noises that way.

I think some are also growing weed. Carp tank. Goat pen electric fence. Fermenting kimchee.

Maybe the two “wives” are sewing piecemeal. Assembling Toshiba transistors. Reloading 7.62x39 brass to drop at each Cambodian DAYLIGHT donut store on that route. Final polish on doodads for the Punjabi chrome shops.

Rotsa room famly you 4’11”. Hammocks for wimmin & babies, men sleep top bunk. Work stations behind sleeper curtains. Plenny, plenny room.

Invader-version of, Team Operation. I sure as hell don’t use their “truck stops “ (once was enough).

Last edited:
Those are the Detroit’s, Paccars & Maxxforce.
In Peter-Eaters, Freightshakers & Cornbinders (ha!)

I cruise 70-MPH at about 1,400-RPM.
Weed burner exhaust. More rumble than a little 13L.

Definitely Petercars (might have Paccar power), Doubt it's the 13 letter poop speaders (most Maxxfarces have blown up already!) and definitely not a Freightshaker (my DD13 don't sound like that!).
I was a little jealous a month ago. Picked up my son one Saturday to give him a ride to get the truck he drives out of the shop. Early 2000's KW W900L daycab he runs hauling a dump wagon locally. ISX Cummins, 13 speed, putting about 600+ to the ground! Followed him to his boss's shop and that sure looked like a lot more fun than driving a Cascadia, DD13, D12 auto company truck!
IMG_20210830_163316.jpg

Well..............I had my fun years ago..........
1.jpg
JD

Last edited:
Definitely Petercars (might have Paccar power), Doubt it's the 13 letter poop speaders (most Maxxfarces have blown up already!) and definitely not a Freightshaker (my DD13 don't sound like that!).
I was a little jealous a month ago. Picked up my son one Saturday to give him a ride to get the truck he drives out of the shop. Early 2000's KW W900L daycab he runs hauling a dump wagon locally. ISX Cummins, 13 speed, putting about 600+ to the ground! Followed him to his boss's shop and that sure looked like a lot more fun than driving a Cascadia, DD13, D12 auto company truck!
View attachment 48088

Well..............I had my fun years ago..........
View attachment 48089
JD

Those were real trucks! I think the same when I see real trucks from the windshield of the cascadia. I at least still have the red under the hood with a 13 speed but it may be the last non-automatic truck I get to run.

In order this is what I've had the privilege of piloting, 96 379 cat 18sp, 03 t800 cat 13 sp, 07 t800 cat accert 13sp, 2011 isx 18 sp, for about 6 months a 20 t880 x15 13sp to the current 20 cascadia x15 13 sp. Started off well and went well for a while but now I'm getting close to the bucket bottom. Only freightshaker I drove before was a spare fld back in the 90's.

Like everything else, everything is getting sissified but what should we expect if we're honest about what we see when we look around....

Those were real trucks! I think the same when I see real trucks from the windshield of the cascadia. I at least still have the red under the hood with a 13 speed but it may be the last non-automatic truck I get to run.

In order this is what I've had the privilege of piloting, 96 379 cat 18sp, 03 t800 cat 13 sp, 07 t800 cat accert 13sp, 2011 isx 18 sp, for about 6 months a 20 t880 x15 13sp to the current 20 cascadia x15 13 sp. Started off well and went well for a while but now I'm getting close to the bucket bottom. Only freightshaker I drove before was a spare fld back in the 90's.

Like everything else, everything is getting sissified but what should we expect if we're honest about what we see when we look around....

5D55D187-D3C3-401A-86B5-7C3BAC6767CB.jpeg

Not a side mic.

Some men’d call these sissified, but I say: get a pair , as:

C-Cup Breast Awareness Month

is just around the corner.

Last edited:
There's another side mic coming my way, a 959B. Maybe it was an impulse buy because they haven't been available or at least that's how I conned myself.

Am I in denial of the addiction or I this post the admitting part.

@Slowmover Maybe I'll finally measure up to the side mic standard.
Definitely an addiction, one I can relate too:)(y).I have yet to buy a front mic CB! I am sure that @Slowmover agrees that you do measure up to the side mic standard! Side mic forever:)(y):)(y)

Reactions: Rwb and Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.