• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic DX 400 antenna

C. Parker

Feb 19, 2021
First post. Hello to all!

I am 100% green at this and scooped up a DX400 super cheap and wanted to know a good antenna to get as I am not picking up any signals with the telescopic one that is attached.

Apologies if this has been discussed in prior threads. I looked for a search function and couldn’t find it.

Thanks! Looking forward to learning!

on the back is 2 screws for external antenna,,,, on the one that i had till the smoke left it i ran tv 300 ohm ribbon wire out side and one connected to ground and the other i ran a piece of 40 foot antenna wire i had bought from the shack,,, it recieved very well and at night radio moscow came in loud,,,

The choice of antenna has to do with what you want it to do for you.

To explore the whole range of frequencies the radio can cover, the longest wire you can hang, as high in the air as you can get it will generally be best. Using coax cable isn't important. Just bringing the end of the wire inside, and connecting it to the center pin of the plug that fits the radio's external antenna jack works fine.

But to concentrate on just one narrow band of frequencies, a commercial antenna built to tune that frequency will perform better. But only on that band, not so much on the other bands the radio covers. This kind of antenna uses coaxial cable between the radio and the base of the antenna.

Ok, thanks. I’m absolutely interested in getting the most out of the radio so, it sounds like the wire option will probably work best.

Can I ground it by simply putting another Wire into the ground? Also, is it important to keep my wire antenna away from my house?

thanks for the replies.

image_thumb2.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.