• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic Navaho TRC-457 restoration

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com

Hi All,
Been a while since I posted here. I picked up a trc-457 a while back and decided it was time to restore this classic back to life.
Posted this video a week ago and thought I share with the folks here on WWRF. Radio looks pretty much stock, no channel mods.

Issues I saw during the initial test.
Very low receive
No output on AM or SSB (does produce a 27 MHz signal)
Leaky capacitors and some corroded.
TR23 missing
Relay cover missing

After posting part 1 video I have replaced all the electrolytics, checked RF amp, driver and final, voltage regulators, and replaced relay.
To see if it had been screwdrivered I performed a quick alignment.
All this did not bring the receiver or transmitter back.

So the mystery continues, will be a lot of troubleshooting in part two.

Hi All,
Been a while since I posted here. I picked up a trc-457 a while back and decided it was time to restore this classic back to life.
Posted this video a week ago and thought I share with the folks here on WWRF. Radio looks pretty much stock, no channel mods.

Issues I saw during the initial test.
Very low receive
No output on AM or SSB (does produce a 27 MHz signal)
Leaky capacitors and some corroded.
TR23 missing
Relay cover missing

After posting part 1 video I have replaced all the electrolytics, checked RF amp, driver and final, voltage regulators, and replaced relay.
To see if it had been screwdrivered I performed a quick alignment.
All this did not bring the receiver or transmitter back.

So the mystery continues, will be a lot of troubleshooting in part two.

Probably burned resistors from a shorted electrolitic, thats the issue I had after I recaped my 138xlr. I have a trc 449 that will get redone when I get time

Probably burned resistors from a shorted electrolitic, thats the issue I had after I recaped my 138xlr. I have a trc 449 that will get redone when I get time

You could be right.
Since the last post I went through all the power supply voltages, replaced the RF amp, FET1, driver and final. Eleminating any issues. I was even surprised that I had new old stock from years back.

More to come soon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.