• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC-221

Dopple

Apr 9, 2022
Has anyone found a service manual for this handheld? It's the newer version of the TRC-216 (40 channel, center loaded antenna, 5 pin mic jack, LCD, etc.). Nice radio, but it's developed a squeal when transmitting. I've taken it apart, removed the antenna, and hooked it up to a dummy load. Same issue, both high and low power. I can see a couple test points on the board, but the back of the board has a lot of SMT components, with nothing labeled. Thanks for any help!

Has anyone found a service manual for this handheld? It's the newer version of the TRC-216 (40 channel, center loaded antenna, 5 pin mic jack, LCD, etc.). Nice radio, but it's developed a squeal when transmitting. I've taken it apart, removed the antenna, and hooked it up to a dummy load. Same issue, both high and low power. I can see a couple test points on the board, but the back of the board has a lot of SMT components, with nothing labeled. Thanks for any help!
Can not help you on that , but if you find a source of information on your radio let me know where you found it . I just picked up a trc 225 it was one of those [ It worked the last time I used it , I have no batteries now } deal,s . After I got it , it did not receive I looked inside and what do you know the antenna had pulled away from it,s hook up on the board . A Google search only find,s owner manuals the radio is old and I have never worked on radio,s much but I,m going to give it a try . Good luck on your problem .

I have a few of those 225's... newer version of the 207. IIRC, it's D9 that's the audio limiter circuit on them. The audio isn't quite as clean as the 207, but it's not bad. I guess some of these are just too new for the older tinkerers to get their screwdrivers into them.

I have a few of those 225's... newer version of the 207. IIRC, it's D9 that's the audio limiter circuit on them. The audio isn't quite as clean as the 207, but it's not bad. I guess some of these are just too new for the older tinkerers to get their screwdrivers into them.
OK so need to solder a jumper from D9 to the tab that attaches to the base of the antenna , I think even I can do that . Thanks

Haha... well, or just clip/desolder one end of D9 to disable the audio limiter. Lemme open up mine real quick to make sure that's the right diode. With normal talking, the modulation (at least on my old PDC600 meter, fwiw) hovers around that 80-90% area.

There's my hacked up box of crap. :D

Attachments

• TRC-225 D9 Audio.JPG
    TRC-225 D9 Audio.JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 10
Ok, well, that's fine for the TRC-216, that one is easy to find. The TRC-221 seems to be unobtainium.

That's the site that I found, and looked thru (and searched) their Realistic and Radio Shack sections. No dice. They do have a good amount of information on other products, though.

That's the site that I found, and looked thru (and searched) their Realistic and Radio Shack sections. No dice. They do have a good amount of information on other products, though.
yes they do I was going on your 1st post , you were looking for the service manual for the 216 then I,ll look some more if I find it for the 221 I will let you know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.