• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC-448 not working....why?

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I have a Realistic TRC-448. The radio does not transmit on AM or sideband.

It does not receive regardless of how far the squelch is dialed back or how much the RF gain is advanced.

The PA function does not work. The needle doesn't even move.

Heck the LED's for the AM or either of the SSB's come on when the dial is put in the correct position.

The only thing I even hear is a clicking noise inside the radio when the mic is keyed. Sounds like a relay clicking.

Where do I begin looking to repair this radio? Would the mic being faulty cause these conditions on this model radio?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Inop Radio

First thing I would do is check the PLL Crystal, a 10.240 (it's marked)

Plug an external speaker into the PA jack, put the radio in the PA mode and

verify the audio stages are working, if they are good, I would almost betcha that the crystal mentioned earlier is not oscillating........

Good radio when it is working. if you need a few spare parts i have a junker that id sell parts off of.

Ok I'll admit I've never tried working on one of these before....is the VCO under those 2 chrome shields....????

Also...Radioman1, this radio has no output whatsoever...no RX, no PA mode....it doesn't even receive.

Ok I'll admit I've never tried working on one of these before....is the VCO under those 2 chrome shields....????

Also...Radioman1, this radio has no output whatsoever...no RX, no PA mode....it doesn't even receive.

If you looked at this link on page 10, it gives you all of the test point locations and adjustment points.
Just 'go by the book'; best results will follow . . .

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/realistic/trc_448/graphics/realistic_trc_448_sm.pdf

In fact, all of the test points on this radio have their own connectors standing up off of the board for easy access. V.cool.

IIRC, the metal covers can be easily removed.
Been awhile since I've been in this radio - though.

You are looking for Q229 (TO220 in the back), you should have 13.8v on the collector, about 9.3v on the emitter, and just under 10v on the base. R314 or R315 off of the collector could be open, C328 could be shorted, or D244 could be shorted.

Q229 supplies / links to voltages all over the place including the mode LED's and the PA.

Good luck,

Jim

You are looking for Q229 (TO220 in the back), you should have 13.8v on the collector, about 9.3v on the emitter, and just under 10v on the base. R314 or R315 off of the collector could be open, C328 could be shorted, or D244 could be shorted.

Q229 supplies / links to voltages all over the place including the mode LED's and the PA.

Good luck,

Jim

Ok Jim. Thank you so much this helped quite a bit.

With the neg lead on the neg terminal of the power supply, and the pos lead touching the transistors legs, with the radio on, below are the following readings:

Base: 0

Collector: 12.1

Emitter: 0

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.