• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC 474 seeking advice on irf520/schematic

Uncle Ronnie 336

Apr 28, 2020
One of these came into my hands with a blown final and I got the 520 mod mostly done but something isn't right when I try to key it down. I can tell there's some signal getting through but it is not putting out enough power to wake up any meter. I feel like this has to do with some capacitors somewhere.

Ahh, you didn't happen to test the old final when you removed it did you?

If it tests good, this means there is another fault that kept it from transmitting.

The fault that's keeping it from transmitting now, maybe?

I'm using the 3.3k, 470, diode setup. The voltage step down regulator is roughly 6 volts and I did put a resistor between tx point and the bias area on the gate but I'm still not getting anything. I think I have to alter something in the output area of the whole final but that's just my general hunch

Last night while burning the midnight oil I realized a trace between the driver and final was broken. So everything is gravy now and I get about a 6 watt dead key and about 28 watts of peak. I didn't use the en 1230 and opted to make my own set of biasing resistors and diodes and instead of 3.3 k I used 4.7 which bumps the biasing voltage up a little bit because the driver is not the strongest thing in the world

Reactions: TM86 and Handy Andy
Idk what the driver is because I never took the heat sink off of it. This was part of a teenage years throwback radio with one of my friends that goes way back so he just got it. I used 120 PF shunted after that first tuning coil on the final and I threw in 100 PF in parallel to the series bypass cap between the driver and final gate. It definitely talks way bigger than the one my friend had when we were younger

Reactions: Handy Andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.