• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rebuilding My Mobile Beam setup

nope, not messing with FG Shock. Iʻll try to get some chkn wire like homers and line the top half w/it. It works thou. thanx for the info guys.

aloha 1-5....
Do you know how to work with fiberglass?
It is easy to pull the shell off and like MrBurb said, line the inside of the shell with the wire mesh, I know you might be limited to building materials.
Many years ago I seen a guy use modeling wire inside a glass camper shell. It is made of aluminium, easy to form, cut and shape and comes in rolls, used to be able to buy it at a hobby store.
Fiberglass is easy to work with, lay the modeling mesh , mold, press and fold the mesh in the corners, lay as many strips as you can down the length of the shell,mix up the hardener, and resin and start building it up.
Chicken wire will work as well, the thing is to make sure all the wire is firmly connected together to form a good ground plane.

Some where I have a picture of another camper shell lined with wire mesh.......kind of a Fred Sanford thing....wonder if anyone else remembers that picture...
I know it seems like a lot of work, but it came out real nice when he was done.

Jeff

ok, thanx Burb. For now Iʻll have to settle wit this. Number6 from honolulu said his friend lined his whole camper with sheet metal and what happed was every time he keyed up with the big box, it would arc from the sheet metal to the bed. Maybe he didnʻt have adequate grounding. Iʻll keep that in mind burb, Thanx. Aloha. James...

You don't need sheet metal , I as well as a few others told you what you can do for a cheap easy fix that works. Line the top and the sides with it and bond it to the chassis with sheet metal screws and washers right into your bed, make sure the ground of your antenna mount is grounded to this as well. What you have now is useless I am sorry to say you better off with 1 antenna.

Wire mesh will

ouvalj.jpg

Lead to This

2z4epdz.jpg

Which will Equal this

2942pg5.jpg

Last edited:
wow, nice. Thatʻll be my next buil. Camper is already on my truck. Iʻll slip it in next time I get it off. Thanx Burb...

Last edited:
OK, rules persey. I only have these pictures here and only people with the video link can view it(or I have it unlisted). Here is the only place I have it posted no where else except on you tube. Hope this qualifies me for the contest.

I call this the "Number6 Mobile Beam Setup" He helped me with it the first time. Thanx #6 .....

I will get bigger or wider ground straps later and strap the whole mobile down to the nitty gritty and Chicken wire it like Mr. Suburban said. For now this will do. I do have a field strength meter to check how it does. Iʻll post that later on maybe next week.

This setup here I used silver coated ground shields from some TV coax I found they are crimped end to end with fisheye connectors and soldered.

The antenna mount is a gumball mount. I twisted the center of the coax to the braided wires the drowned it with solder.

OK, along the camper ceiling you can see I have the flat aluminum plate. It slides thru the support beam(The black thing running across the shell) of the camper top and held in place by a double sided tape crimped lead sinkers and soldered the wires togather.

To the front of the plate, I have riveted the ground wire to it then towards the front of the topper widow I split the straps in 2, grinded the paint on the front topper window and screw it to the widow with existing screws. I did the same with the rear widow except it only has 1 strap from the plate to the top of the rear window. Each corner of the camper have 1 strap each bolted to the camper windows then riveted to the truck bed(Also ground to bare metal and painted. I also ran one strap from the outside top of the front camper window to the ground or puck mount bolt in the cab.

After I grounded everything, I went with the meter in Continuity mode and checked for continuity thru out the whole camper/bad/cab....

As for now, I only have 1 102" Whip + PB Spring. Gonna get the other setup this coming Friday.

Anyways, hereʻs a short video I made. Iʻll make a better one next time with both antennas on and a video of the me testing it. Thanx to all who helped. When Spring Break Come around, I might lay down some Cockadoodle wires. :LOL:

YouTube - Camperbeam.3gp

Last edited:
So Happy Hammer, Am I enrolled in the contest???? Still more reviews on this to come. Ive still gotta get another 102 SS Whip.

Last edited:
Well looks like its working. But havent really tested it out yet. I did hook up my steel whip on the hot and the 6" spring and my Shakespear top whip. Had to add the spring to compensate the length of the 102.

With the whip alone I saw 1.2:1 SWR and with the reflector on it dropped to 1.1:1.

I havent done a field strength test yet. I'll have to wait for monday.

Night night. Aloha, 1-5.....

Hey Burb, would it be OK if I only lined the top half but ground the Chikey wire to the window frame then to da bed? I pack my kids in the camper shell too dont wanna have them being poked by it. :LOL: Wanna keep the functionallity of the widows too..

Im not into it for competition just to make some DX contact.....

Still havent gotten the chikey wires yet, on a tight budject. Its seem to be working thou. With my field strength I have 10+ in the front @ 40ft and a reading of 4+ in the rear @ 40ft. I wanna work it down the rear to zero but need some advice on how to do it. Do I space the antennas out, stretch the rear, etc....????

OK, didn't line the camper w/chicky wire but did mount 2 102 steel whip. front(hot) is just the whip the 102" whip and the rear (REF) I added a 9 inch extender that makes it 111 inches.

SWR is @ 1.1 & 1/2 to 1.2:1. Forward gain was 8-9 FS reading @ 12 steps forward, rear FS reading is 0.5-1 @ the same distance and side FS reading straigth across from the hot ant is 4-6 FS reading. Dont know if that makes sense or not but you get the picture.

Im getting some forward gain. I'll try it again tomorrow and maybe draw out the radiation pattern of the antenna.

OK, 1 question. My rear antenna is a wee tilted to the left side of the truck, will that affect radiation pattern?
2.jpg

On the way home, my rear antenna clipped the cane truck overpass on our main highway. :LOL: Didn't know it was that high up there. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.