• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recaping - Need Cap Lead Spacing

Wildcat444

Yea, that's right.
Oct 16, 2009
I need to do some recapping in my radios, but want to order my own electrolytic capacitors. I don't know the hole spacing and don't want to remove all the caps before the job to check the lead spacing of each cap. Does anyone have a list of the hole spacing for the electrolytic capacitors used in any of the following radios:

(1) a Cobra 142GTL
(2) a Uniden Washington
(3) a Uniden Madison
(4) an HR2510
(5) a Realistic Navaho TRC-490?

Kind regards!

Does anyone have a list of the hole spacing for the electrolytic capacitors used in any of the following radios:

Nobody does, far as I know. You'll find that over the last 40 or so years the average size of radial electrolytic capacitors has been shrinking. Good luck buying new caps by specifying the lead spacing you want. I suppose you could, but it's about the last spec we worry about. Spreading the leads a bit farther to match the hole spacing in a pc board doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Well, try Digikey and look at their PDF's

PDF attached - review - start on Page 3 for more dimensional details...

Thats' just TDK

Then use a Micrometer (Or digital Caliper)...

1667214319199.png
...preferably with a depth gauge to measure installed height standoff to board..​

...and figure out the dimensional on the solder pads you'll need to replace and compare size per value (uF and WVDC) - we can't do it all for you.

You know what your needs are...

You bring up a good point, but the finality - if that could be the word - for choice was left to the tech fixing the equipment. So "standards" were not really set for size, only values of working voltages, and capacitance with little thought to the design of the package except for the need to be insulated and packaged so it can be installed in more than just one type of equipment outline.

So, compactness and ergonomics and weight were not thought of until recently. Ever since the Pb and Prop 65 issues of operating this stuff in California causes cancer, but while everywhere else in the world, it didn't matter. Because you, or your radio didn't live long enough to find out if Cancer was causing these caps or you, to fail.

Attachments

• TDK Capacitors.pdf
    698.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
Would be just as easy to order the kits from "Klondikemike" on eBay........... you know they'll fit for sure, and the right quality part too.

I endorse this message. Hi Hi! Better yet, go to my website. No ebay fee's or taxes charged.

I agree with Nomad that lead spacing is not a dimension that one needs to concern themselves with for this sort of project. What dimensions one needs to make note of is height and width. Some radios have special considerations when it comes to these dimensions. I have 272 kits available and there are a number that have special needs. I factor this in when I build a kit. One of the benefits of buying a kit from Klondike Mike's.

BTW, one of the radios on the OP's initial post does fall into the category of having special needs.

I do the same, but I bend the negative lead, and put the positive lead straight into the hole. Less chance of "shorting out". Unless it were a double sided traces on both sides like a Motorola, or other similar. Then I "sleeve" one of the leads.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
All the correct lead spacings and height widths are available for thru hole but it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it.

I use a lot of different supply companies from all around the world in my Electronics design and manufacturing company to get what I need and have never been caught out with obselete or unobtainium caps yet.

Thru hole semiconductors are another matter however with many commonly used semiconductors now being scarcer than rocking horse s@*t.

One issue that never gets any airtime is using the correct spec capacitors and I don't mean dimensions but correct for ESR and other electrical characteristics, is it for power supply, audio, blocking etc all of these can impact performance and longevity.

Last edited:
I endorse this message. Hi Hi! Better yet, go to my website. No ebay fee's or taxes charged.

I agree with Nomad that lead spacing is not a dimension that one needs to concern themselves with for this sort of project. What dimensions one needs to make note of is height and width. Some radios have special considerations when it comes to these dimensions. I have 272 kits available and there are a number that have special needs. I factor this in when I build a kit. One of the benefits of buying a kit from Klondike Mike's.

BTW, one of the radios on the OP's initial post does fall into the category of having special needs.
I just recapped a 2510 and you are right about needing special size caps for this one......

Reactions: NZ8N
I just recapped a 2510 and you are right about needing special size caps for this one......
Does the 2510 have some unusual sized caps? Yes, but it’s not a necessity to replace them with exactly the same size dimensions. Doc never thought so, and neither do I. The 2510 has a number of very small caps. Depending on the circuit, Doc replaced many with larger sized ones that had a little larger working voltage. I followed suit and did the same with my 2510. The main emphasize is placed on buying quality caps such as Panasonic (Matsushita), and Nichicon. Testing each batch with a capacitance / ESR meter is advisable, especially involving any Chinese odd brands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.