• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receive after transmit with amp on

caliman

Oct 12, 2017
Hello
I have a yaesu 710 radio, without the amplifier on after transmit, the receive comes back as it should, if I turn on my amplifier, after I transmit the receive doesn't come back fully, I have to blow into the microphone to sort of reset it, I've tried making several adjustments, but to no avail, also, sometimes when I turn on the amp the receive goes way down? Is there any way to rectify this problem when the amplifier is turned on?

hmmmmmm! typical problem. sounds like relay contacts.
clean the contacts. at the antenna switching contacts. rubbing alcohol
and a piece of paper to wipe the contacts, all wetted in
rubbing alcohol. when in transmit, all the RF power just
arcs through the bad contacts.

hmmmmmm! typical problem. sounds like relay contacts.
clean the contacts. at the antenna switching contacts. rubbing alcohol
and a piece of paper to wipe the contacts, all wetted in
rubbing alcohol. when in transmit, all the RF power just
arcs through the bad contacts.
10-4, I checked all the contacts, although I didn't rub with alcohol, I have a sirio 2008 ground plane antenna, I read one post where the gentleman said, he thinks the problem may be the antenna itself, whereas the 2008 sirio has a copper coil, and the antenna radials are of aluminum, and he thinks that it might be the problem, I tend to think not because like I said, it's only when the amplifier is on that the receive does not come back on fully, thank you for your reply

Update:
I found the problem, it was the antenna coax coming into the meter, when I pulled it out, the center conductor of the coax was completely carbon color, used the file to bring back the brass color, cleaned with alcohol and light coat of petroleum jelly, problem, resolved, thank you for your response! I will now keep these contacts clean! 73's

Update:
I found the problem, it was the antenna coax coming into the meter, when I pulled it out, the center conductor of the coax was completely carbon color, used the file to bring back the brass color, cleaned with alcohol and light coat of petroleum jelly, problem, resolved, thank you for your response! I will now keep these contacts clean! 73's
Yeah the coax jumper makes sense, but that antenna suggestion someone gave you about the copper coil and aluminum radials was pretty far out there.

Glad you figured it out.

Reactions: caliman
10-4, I checked all the contacts, although I didn't rub with alcohol, I have a sirio 2008 ground plane antenna, I read one post where the gentleman said, he thinks the problem may be the antenna itself, whereas the 2008 sirio has a copper coil, and the antenna radials are of aluminum, and he thinks that it might be the problem, I tend to think not because like I said, it's only when the amplifier is on that the receive does not come back on fully, thank you for your reply

LOL Pretty much ALL such antennas have a copper coil and aluminum radials. Tell the guy who came up with that theory, he is full of shit.

Update:
Are your coax fittings properly soldered to the conductors in the cable?

I wouldn't say he was real far out there, just thinking on a different wavelength. Corrosion caused his issue with the plug, but also, copper in contact with aluminum WILL cause galvanic corrosion in the presence of moisture and that COULD cause an issue. It's that "outside the box" thinking that makes a good troubleshooter.

I wouldn't say he was real far out there, just thinking on a different wavelength. Corrosion caused his issue with the plug, but also, copper in contact with aluminum WILL cause galvanic corrosion in the presence of moisture and that COULD cause an issue. It's that "outside the box" thinking that makes a good troubleshooter.
I completely understand thinking outside the box when troubleshooting but don't we first use the process of eliminating the most common issues before we jump to the least of possibilities? I said it was pretty far out because most wouldn't jump that direction right away.

I just had a similar problem at the coax end, although mine was the SO239 being hogged out.
Something I thought initially was a coax issue, was the connector itself. I guess if it aint tight, it aint right.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I completely understand thinking outside the box when troubleshooting but don't we first use the process of eliminating the most common issues before we jump to the least of possibilities? I said it was pretty far out because most wouldn't jump that direction right away.
I agree, I wouldn't have jumped to that conclusion first either, but we don't know the extent of the previous conversation in which that was suggested. I'm merely pointing out that it is not that far out of the realm of possibilities instead of bashing the ideas from persons unknown to this thread.

That same corrosion, either in the jack, ground block, coax or antenna can cause issues regardless. The diagnosis of corrosion was correct, the location was not. I wouldn't have even thought about corrosion, but checking my coax when experiencing trouble tops the list of basic, at least in my mind.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.