• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommendations for a ham mobile with 11 meters

Yes: TS-50...one just recently sold on QTH for $300...
Another listed now for $500 with matching antenna tuner...However even the Newest TS-50 was produced late 90's...maybe 1996-7...
You can find good working units that old in all those mentioned so far. However many internal parts...final/driver transistors...IC's etc...can no longer be purchased unless found from a parts rig or from a salvage parts dealer.
Then this requires having mods done, to accommodate new components substituted in.
Plus finding someone to make those mods or repairs.
All the rigs mentioned, the Factory service centers will no longer work on those rigs in most cases.
So just be aware.
Shop around...Try HAMFESTS in your area for deals.
That or "Rat Hole" some cash until you can purchase something more current.
GL
All the Best
Gary

I figured maybe 5, 6 years old for around 300ish 400 at the most since new are around 800.

I got the impression he was looking at all the HF bands when he mentioned Yaesu and ICOM brands.
That may be a cheaper solution if he does require or wish to use any band below 12mtr's...i.e. 75/40/20m etc..
Gary

I may have read to much into his question?:LOL:
I use presently the IC-7100 and a screwdriver antenna and can work ALL Bands mobile 160 thru 6m with it.
I then have a Diamond antenna for 2m/440:LOL:

Truthfully just looking for a decent radio that has 11 Meters instead of using ones like Strykers, etc.. I had another post up about anothe radio and someone told me to find a mobile ham rig used for around 3/400 and it would be better than any of the exports out there. I didn't know they would be that old though.

Ham radios (not export radios) are much better built and have much better filtering in them and that is why they tend to hold their value.
My only fault with them is that unless you get an old tube radio, AM tends to suck balls in them. But AM is not really where they are intended to shine soo....Meh.
If you want one for SSB on 11m then go for it, but don't expect the radio to be an AM monster, because it just won't be.

I have a old friend that used to run a ft-101b in his Chevy truck about a hundred years ago.
Tracy used to park below the repeater site east of Fresno on a dirt turn out.
They called him world wide

Anyway I think it would be hard to find a good 857d for 300 bucks.
It has 6 , 2 meters and 440 and runs a little higher used.
They are a good all mode, all in one box radio.
Wish the nb and speech processor worked better..

Jeff

I have to agree with 999 with his post about AM.
Most of the modern multi mode ham radios are not going to give a AM fan a warm fuzzy feeling like plate modulated audio or high level modulation will.
SSB is the most used mode on a lot of bands and it shows in the tx/rx capabilities of these radios.
Jeff

Reactions: 530
Well I do NOT think that ANY Amateur Radio should be used on 11 meters but a great HF mobile than may have a MARS mod done so that it also works on 60 meters & 11 meters is a Kenwood TS-50.I have owned (5) of them & all worked very well.With some searching it is very possible to find a TS-50 for $400 or even less.I once purchased (2) of them & a Kenwood AT-50 auto tuner for just $500 as a package deal & everything in that package worked so do some searching & don't rush making your purchase while saving a few more dollars.

SIX-SHOOTER

It does a lot but none of it very well. I had the original FT-857 and then upgraded to the FT-857D and speak from experience. The receiver is OK but nothing to rave about and perhaps a little bit to rant about especially under strong signals.

OK, how about I put it this way....for the price point.
It covers the entire HF spectrum, AM and FM broadcast, 6m, flight frequencies, 2m, weather band, and 70cm. That's a whole lot of radio in a package the approximate size of a cobra 29.
My main complaint about the radio is no dual watch of both VFOs at the same time and the small size of the display. Other than that I really like the radio. Again it does a ton for the price point

Last edited:
okay , my turn. The FT-857D is a "shack in the box"
I love what the radio is and what it does . It wears me out listening to it.
Mine isn't going anywhere. It doesn't get used much either.
So I either love to hate it or hate to love it. In any case it is a love hate relationship.

okay , my turn. The FT-857D is a "shack in the box"
I love what the radio is and what it does . It wears me out listening to it.
Mine isn't going anywhere. It doesn't get used much either.
So I either love to hate it or hate to love it. In any case it is a love hate relationship.
The only thing I do not like about it is the menu driven controls. I guess once you have been through it several times and get it all setup it should be easy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated