• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommendations for a ham mobile with 11 meters

Mars, Uranus, same difference.
Not all mods are created equal. Neither are the radios.
Some are as easy as a clip a snip or a jumper. Others are a litany of arcane additions and subtractions performed under a full moon requiring a ritual sacrifice.
Others still loose function or factory pre-sets (ft-857) in the modification.
Still others run up against band-pass or low pass filter edges (or both) that affect TX power and RX sensitivity.

Do your homework. YMMV

okay , my turn. The FT-857D is a "shack in the box"
I love what the radio is and what it does . It wears me out listening to it.
Mine isn't going anywhere. It doesn't get used much either.
So I either love to hate it or hate to love it. In any case it is a love hate relationship.

I would not recommend the 857D to anyone even if I did not like them. It is by far the most PATHETIC transceiver I have ever owned or operated.The ICOM 7000 blows it away as does the ICOM 706 MKIIG but he was only asking about an HF Radio so I suggested the very dependable radio with the Kenwood TS-50. I would take the ICOM 7000 over any HF mobile ever built and over many HF Base radios. It is a pleasure to operate mobile or base.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: 530
I'm just back into radio, why is the stryker 955 a poor choice? 350$ , good reviews, easy to open up to CB bands, I'm kind of in the same boat since my budget is in the 300's also

He is looking for a HF radio.
The Stryker is only going to get you 10, 11 and 12 meters after modification.
We are making suggestions for a radio that will cover the whole HF spectrum.
And some of these radios also cover 6 meters , 2 meters And 440 MHz.
Depends on what you want.
If you have your license or you plan on getting one it is better to have a radio that covers more bands.
If you are only looking for CB then that changes things.
Also if you only like AM mode and do not like SSB then a HF rig might not be the best fit for you.

Jeff

We all learn here that is what makes it a good forum.
HF generally means 10 through 160 meters.
Most of the older export radios were sold as 10 meter radios and when modified would cover the CB band, and what was called the " free band" area between CB and 10 meters.
For example the 360 FM and clone radios had 3 bands, one band below channel 1 , the CB band and one band above 40.
Then the 3900 series and clones had 6 bands, two bands below channel 1 plus the regular 40 channels and 3 bands above.
By the time we got to the 6900 series radios and clones like the connex 4800DXL they were up to 12 bands.
There were a few exceptions.
The 2510/2600/2830/Lincoln covered 26.000 to 29.999 MHz.
The Ranger Ar radios built by Clear channel up In Washington could be "tricked" into dialing down to almost 2 MHz but would lose tx long before they got that low.
RCI built the 2950 radios that would work from 26.000 to 32.000 MHz.
Now the Lincoln 2 plus, the anytones, the Magnum one , Maxlog and others cover 24.000 to 29.999.
There are a few variations but that is the general rule of thumb for export type of radios.
This has evolved a lot since we used to swap crystals around in our old Johnson 8 channel tube radios to get " the funny channels"
Did not see export radios here back in those days.

Jeff

Mars, Uranus, same difference.
Not all mods are created equal. Neither are the radios.
Some are as easy as a clip a snip or a jumper. Others are a litany of arcane additions and subtractions performed under a full moon requiring a ritual sacrifice.
Others still loose function or factory pre-sets (ft-857) in the modification.
Still others run up against band-pass or low pass filter edges (or both) that affect TX power and RX sensitivity.

Do your homework. YMMV

And why the repeater offsets?
I never did understand that.

Jeff

I never understood the one or the other either. The only issue I have is the occasional need to listen on the input of a machine on the fly. Just haven't figured that one out yet. I think I may just be inept :notworthy:.
I also had to add 60m frequencies manually.

I still need to play with the Radio Shack DSP40 and give the results. I can't stand listening to the thing as much as like the radio otherwise.
Listening to FM is fine.
AM is a bit thin (filter)
SSB in the ever present noise sux dry dog balls....

TX performance receives no complaints.

Jeff, I wonder if some of my problems may be located in menu 015-018.
RX/TX carrier injection points for those playing along at home.

Yes you can play with the rx offsets in menu 15 and 17.
I am not at home right now but I have changed the ones on my radio.
Mole has a thread here about menu settings for the 857 as I think he used to run this radio.
Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.