• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommendations for External Antenna

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
As I am (slowly step- by - step) preparing and studying for my Ham Radio Technical License, I will be receiving a portable C. Crane CC Radio to listen to the 2 meter band conversations. I want to listen and learn the correct and professional manner how to communicate when I receive my license and purchase a 2-meter radio after I receive my license. You know......"crawl before you walk" learning. I'd like to have an outdoor antenna for the C. Crane portable radio which I can use later as a permanent antenna for using the 2-meter radio as a base unit. Any recommendations for a decent 2-meter antenna? Is there a recommended distance between the 2-meter antenna and my Colossal 10K CB antenna? Optium height of the 2-meter antenna? Thank you. Recon 881 Central NY.

Recon I use an Ed Fong antenna for 2 meter/70cm. It slides into a piece of 3/4”schedule 20 pvc about 5 feet long and has a SO239 installed in the bottom cap. Super light, mine hangs in the attic (due to HOA). i have always gotten good reports and it receives well too. Can only imagine how well it would work outside.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Recon I use an Ed Fong antenna for 2 meter/70cm. It slides into a piece of 3/4”schedule 20 pvc about 5 feet long and has a SO239 installed in the bottom cap. Super light, mine hangs in the attic (due to HOA). i have always gotten good reports and it receives well too. Can only imagine how well it would work outside.
Great! Thank you! Is there a specific part number?

Same rules apply to 2m as well as all bands. As far as antenna height, vhf is predominantly line of sight so get it up as high and clear from obstacles as possible. Antenna type, get whats in your budget, most all 2m base antennas work well. Just decide size and cost. Better yet just build one for like $5. Suuuuper simple. Location to near by antennas, put it above your hf antennas and keep a 1/2 distance between them (if possible) to avoid any interaction. Most likely wont happen due to the wavelength difference

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Mine is the hi-power dual band version. I also have the dedicated 220 version.

Google 2 meter copper J-Pole. Easy and cheap to build. I have one up about 35 feet and works very well. Total cost about $5.00.

David

Reactions: RT431

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated