• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommendations on an inexpensive 10/11/12 meter base antenna

Brother DXer

226 - west Texas (WDX226)
Aug 20, 2022
Texas
I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive antenna. Just looking for something to use for local only, so distance isn't an issue. We have a small group here and we're on the radio most evenings. The purpose of this would be to free up my main antenna to monitor the frequencies while we shoot the $hit. I'm not looking to spend more than 100.00 on an antenna. Preferably 50 to 75 $$. ANY recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! 73's

I like the 5/8 wave Sirio. It's not gonna cover all three bands though; probably just 11M and the N-T portion of 10.
Yes, this would definitely work, but a bit more than I'm looking for. Oh, and 12 meter range really isn't an issue. Not sure why I even put that on there. 26 to 30 is good. I was looking at the stardust and I believe it was around $75 to $80. It really just needs very limited distance. Any experience with these?

Reactions: Marconi
Yes, this would definitely work, but a bit more than I'm looking for. Oh, and 12 meter range really isn't an issue. Not sure why I even put that on there. 26 to 30 is good. I was looking at the stardust and I believe it was around $75 to $80. It really just needs very limited distance. Any experience with these?
Not personally, but I'm sure someone on here has used it.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Sigma venom, from Europe. A budget price for a pretty decent antenna. The one currently flying I found on Amazon and delivered in like 3 days!

Not sure if it covers all the frequencies you're after though.
Thanks, Eldorado828
I'll check it out tonight. I really don't need it for 12 meters, just thought it would be a bonus if so.
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, and yes, they usually deliver quick.

See if you can find a used HY-Gain SPT-500 Super Perpetrator. The new remakes are marketed for 10-12 meter but can be tuned for 11 meter. If you weren't all the way down in Texas I'd sell you mine that I'm just storing, but I'd want $100.00 and shipping would kill you. Check Amazon and eBay.

The Star-Duster is a great 11 meter antenna but don't know about 10 meter never tried it but someone in here probably has.
Thanks, whiteastro!
Yes, a used Hy Gain is definitely a way to go. A great friend of mine wants to give me a star-duster he has, but I'd really like him to keep it because I'm sure he'll use it some day. It's always nice to have something at the ready when needed. This guy would literally give you the shirt off his back!! A great guy and even better friend!

After some searching, I've came across some good options at some of the online shops. They have several different options under $100. I'm also going to keep checking other shops, amazon, and maybe even ebay. I do appreciate the ideas. This is exactly why I posted. Great ideas.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Workman makes a Star Duster and I think it's cheaper than the Sirio Star Duster. The Workman is the first one I bought when I got back into radio and it served me well for years.

Workman makes a Star Duster and I think it's cheaper than the Sirio Star Duster. The Workman is the first one I bought when I got back into radio and it served me well for years.
Yes, I found a workman at Palco Electronics. I was actually surprised the first time I visited their site. Great prices and they seem to have a good size inventory. Undertaker said he's had nothing but great experiences with these guys.

If you want an antenna that covers 11 and 10 meters without any tuning, go for the Sirio Gain Master.

Some antenna manufacturers say their antennas cover 11 and 10 meters. In reality, you must tune them by adjusting length. ( won’t work on both band at the same time with acceptable SWR) .

The Gain Master is the only one that works both bands without tuning, but I am afraid, it is out of your budget.

The other option is to buy a cheap antenna and tune it with an antenna tuner.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.