• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommendations....

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
For a new or used DC to Daylight all mode mobile under 1K?

I just sold my 706MKIIG and really liked it. Looking to replace it with something else.

I used it in the truck for SWL and two way with the rotten antenna restrictions a truck has. Maybe string a wire for 20M digital when parked.

Lemme have it.:D

I have and use an IC7000 from time to time. Used can be found under 1K. Might be found for less when the IC7100 replacement is in production. Some early report of problems with heat. Not sure that is current. Easy interface to the AH-4a tuner. Layout and menu would be familure.

Mike

For a new or used DC to Daylight all mode mobile under 1K?

I just sold my 706MKIIG and really liked it. Looking to replace it with something else.

I used it in the truck for SWL and two way with the rotten antenna restrictions a truck has. Maybe string a wire for 20M digital when parked.

Lemme have it.:D

I'll second the IC-7000. I replaced a Kenwood TS-480SAT with the 7000 and
really do like it. I have seen the 7000's selling used for around $800-$850 +-.
They do tend to run a bit hot. But, if mounted in an area where there is plenty
of clearance around them, they do just fine. I have mine mounted below the CB cubby
hole in a 2007 Kenworth day cab. It runs all day and has yet to give me any over heating problems. The TS-480SAT was a good rig too, but, it's noise handling abilities
were not as good as the 7000's. The truck I drive has a Caterpillar engine in it and the
computer module that controls it, produces a lot of noise. The 480 could knock it down
but, the audio was muddy and distorted. The 7000 does a much better job and while
it does not get rid of it completely, it makes it very tolerable. The noise is a pulsing
noise similar to old fashioned ignition noise. But, comes from the pulses the computer
sends to the fuel injectors in the engine. The odd thing is, my old Connex CB (3300HP)
has a noise blanker that can knock the noise down even lower than the 7000!
It probably takes out weak signals with it, but, it does work.
trucker

i find it disheartening that both my ar3500 & grant xl-actually ANY of either of those 2 radios-have better noise removing capabilities then any HF rig i've ever used mobile. i still have my 706mk2g in my mobile & i think it's pretty much neck & neck with an ic7000 i tried. i've had/borrowed/used an ft100, ft757, ts50(not dc to daylite though), dx70th, ts480, as well as an ic735. i think the 735 may have been the quietest....just too big, & that was 20 years ago when the vehicles were much bigger then todays.
pretty much learned to live with my 706....and appreciate using my 746pro at home that much more!!!

The 7000 is a good choice,,,,,,,,

I like the Yaesu 857D

Get the ATAS 120A antenna and you can talk from 40 meter to 70 centimeter on one antenna.

I have found that although it is possible to talk below 40 meter in a mobile, it is not the easiest, especially in a truck. The reason I say this, the ATAS will not tune below 40 meter for TX.

Sure you can get the 7000 and a little tarheel antenna and cover quite a bit of the HF -6 meter band, then you will need another antenna for VHF/UHF

Just simple stuff, either radio is ok, I was just "selling" the Yaesu as my choice

i find it disheartening that both my ar3500 & grant xl-actually ANY of either of those 2 radios-have better noise removing capabilities then any HF rig i've ever used mobile. i still have my 706mk2g in my mobile & i think it's pretty much neck & neck with an ic7000 i tried. i've had/borrowed/used an ft100, ft757, ts50(not dc to daylite though), dx70th, ts480, as well as an ic735. i think the 735 may have been the quietest....just too big, & that was 20 years ago when the vehicles were much bigger then todays.
pretty much learned to live with my 706....and appreciate using my 746pro at home that much more!!!

My Grant XL's have given me the same impression.

I think my Kenwood TS 430 had much better rx than my Icom. At least to the point that I could notice it on the same antenna. Too bad it's so darn big for a truck.

The 7000 is a good choice,,,,,,,,

I like the Yaesu 857D

Get the ATAS 120A antenna and you can talk from 40 meter to 70 centimeter on one antenna.

I have found that although it is possible to talk below 40 meter in a mobile, it is not the easiest, especially in a truck. The reason I say this, the ATAS will not tune below 40 meter for TX.

Sure you can get the 7000 and a little tarheel antenna and cover quite a bit of the HF -6 meter band, then you will need another antenna for VHF/UHF

Just simple stuff, either radio is ok, I was just "selling" the Yaesu as my choice

Do you get to use one at work?

I will be installing one in the truck, tomorrow is my first day for my new job, heading to Hammond, IN.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?