• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommended dual banded HT for a newer ham?

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I recently picked up my ticket for tech in July. Around here 2 meters and 70 centimeters are used.

I've already purchased a Yaesu FT7900R that I use off an on in the car, but I've thought of getting myself a HT that I can use anywhere in the house or I can sit outside on the patio and chat.

Our local repeater is a little over 10 miles away and uses PL tones to operate.

I know HT's don't have as much range as a mobile but I do want to look into an HT.

What would you recommend?

Wouxun KG-UVD1P
144/440 MHz HT

uvd1.jpg

http://www.worldwidedx.com/product-reviews/61919-wouxun-kg-uvd1p-review.html

^Seconded. I own a KG-UV2D and I love it. I also own a Quansheng TG-UV2 (eham review here, can be purchased here). I love it also. IMO between the two of them they represent the best values in dual-band handhelds. The only difference is in the price (Quansheng is cheaper), the physical appearance, the number of memory channels (the Quansheng has 200, the Wouxun has 120) and the fact that the Quansheng lacks DTMF capability. They both have full PL tone capability.

^^^
Thirded, LOL. The manual is rough, but for the price it's hard to beat. Get the programming cable also and download the software.

Thanks for your help. If I may ask what is the typical range of this radio? I live in an area that is mostly rural with some hills but no mountains.

I have no problems hitting repeaters 7-10mi away at full quieting or nearly so. I can key repeaters that are 20+mi distant, but my signal quality at that range is not that great.

I would agree but please keep in mind you always get what you pay for.

My Wouxun KG-UVD1P

Only 128 memory channels.
My fingers are too fat.
Manual blows chunks.
COM port but you can get it to work.
Mic Speaker socket pain in the ars.
My fingers are too fat for the rig.
it is a Backup rig and will be used as such.
External gain antenna makes it have Overload Rec.
I Never seen full Power out of Mine.

What I enjoy in HT's.

I really like the The Yaesu VX-6R is a triple band 2M, 220 & 440 MHz I know 3 band but it is simple good for rain well I never had it out out a down-n-out Rain storm other then the Tornado we had a few months ago and I fish a good amount.

Simple no swapping ants paying money blah blah blah.
Good charge and run time "Wake-Up" battery saver system extends life.
Tons of Memory Channels storage.
CTCSS and DCS.
9.45 oz with battery and antenna can carry My .40 Springfield on same side =)
Option $35.00 USB

I would agree but please keep in mind you always get what you pay for.

My Wouxun KG-UVD1P

Only 128 memory channels.
My fingers are too fat.
Manual blows chunks.
COM port but you can get it to work.
Mic Speaker socket pain in the ars.
My fingers are too fat for the rig.
it is a Backup rig and will be used as such.
External gain antenna makes it have Overload Rec.
I Never seen full Power out of Mine.

What I enjoy in HT's.

I really like the The Yaesu VX-6R is a triple band 2M, 220 & 440 MHz I know 3 band but it is simple good for rain well I never had it out out a down-n-out Rain storm other then the Tornado we had a few months ago and I fish a good amount.

Simple no swapping ants paying money blah blah blah.
Good charge and run time "Wake-Up" battery saver system extends life.
Tons of Memory Channels storage.
CTCSS and DCS.
9.45 oz with battery and antenna can carry My .40 Springfield on same side =)
Option $35.00 USB

That's true, YMMV..

I always point out though, whenever the "you always get what you pay for" point is raised, that these are actually a very nice break from that logic. The eham reviews for both the Quansheng TG-UV2 and Wouxun KG-UVX are better than nearly every radio from the big three, whether it's mobile, base or handheld. that says a lot to me. Also, the com port works fine on both of mine, had very little difficulty programming either one, whether manually or via software. Both make about 4.8-4.9W on my meter, which is close enough for my taste.
At the end of the day it's just different strokes for different folks.. that's why there are several brands to choose from, not just one.

Varies.

Trees / moisture seriously degrade signal strength.

that's an excellent point. For reference I live in the middle of an urban area, with highrises every direction. Forestation can be worse than that, but if in a rural area you've always got the option of walking to a hilltop or high point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.