• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Refurbishing a Base Antenna

dgtr43

Sep 8, 2008
Do anyone know of any tech that refurbish base antenna to working condition? I have an Avanti Astroplane that has a slit where it shouldnt be in the tubing. I have had this antenna for over 10 years and pulled it out of the box. It needs a working over if that's possible.

Any suggestions?

I have no idea who would do this actively, however, in your situation I would clean it up and fix it myself.
Steel wool and an aerosol freshener called "Pure Citrus" works wonders on aluminum to clean and polish it. I lack the ability to weld aluminum so I'd likely either find a snug fitting next larger sized tubing to splint over the damaged portion of tubing, or do a fiberglass cloth and resin patch to sturdy the area up. Even an epoxy patch over tge split can be enough if it isn't a major problem.
Rusted screws, nuts and bolts can be replaced from the hardware store with new stainless steel ones.
I have built this antenna from scratch. It is not an intimidating project if you look at it parts...
cleaning, bolt replacement, sturdying/repairing damage... next thing you know it is done, looks great, and working the air waves again.

Do anyone know of any tech that refurbish base antenna to working condition? I have an Avanti Astroplane that has a slit where it shouldnt be in the tubing. I have had this antenna for over 10 years and pulled it out of the box. It needs a working over if that's possible.

Any suggestions?
Think I'd look up the assembly manual for it, and the replace the split piece. The manual usually will give you dimensions and length; but you should have that already if you have a decent tape measure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.