• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Relearning CW and learning to use a paddle

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I'm really enjoying the new Elecraft KX3, and one thing it has given me the motivation to do is to get back "up to speed" on CW. I learned the code well enough to pass the General test years go and got up to around 10 wpm max. Then I got bored with CW and let it lapse.

With this ultra-portable KX3, I'm interested in relearning at faster speeds and also learn to use a paddle so I can take advantage of the optional attached paddle. I've only ever used a straight key.

I originally learned CW using the phonetics method - where you substitute a word that has the same rhythm as the CW letter. I've found that the phonetics method is good for learning CW at slow speeds, but it is very limiting. First, if you can't remember the phonetic that matched the letter, you have a problem. Second, the phonetics used are never the same as the standard phonetic alphabet so you get yourself into trouble if you use the standard phonetics often (I do on every MARS net, so they're in-grained). For example, the standard phonetic for "A" is "alpha", which doesn't work very well for remembering "dit-dah". Basically I've found that using the phonetics method makes it harder to build up your speed.

So, I've decided to abandon the phonetcs method and relearn faster copy by using the Koch method at 20wpm. The problem I'm having now is that I still want to "hear" the phonetics, but it's impossible for me to keep up with phonetcs at 20wpm! Argh! And I haven't even started to learn how to use the paddle yet!

At this point I don't think I would ever recommend anything but the Koch method for a new CW student. Trying to retrain myself seems like it is much harder than if I had just learned faster copy from the beginning.

So, do you have any tips for me? Have you gone through this process yourself? How about tips for learning how to use paddle?

Reactions: 1 person

Yes, the Koch is the best way I have found. I would even suggest a character speed of at least 25 wpm.

I learned the old standard Farnsworth until my brother-in-law came home from Vietnam and schooled me in Koch. I hit the wall at 22 wpm or so with Farnsworth and just couldn't seem to increase my speed. After a couple months with the Koch Method, I shattered that wall. Each month my speed kept increasing until I could finally hear the words. During this phase is when I practicality abandoned phone and concentrated on CW only.

I can now head copy 45 wpm with faster bursts using a modified form of shorthand. My sending speed remains comfortable at 30-35 wpm. I went from straight key to bug then paddles. The bug, I didn't like so well, but still use occasionally.

I find the best way to sharpen CW is to unplug the mic and immerse oneself in CW. Lol

The later model MFJ tutors have Koch programming and there are a few PC based Koch programs that are decent.

I have been trying to increase my speed, but find I have old age difficulty or something.

It'll be hard to shake the phonetics, but you can do it with due diligence.

It's always hardest to 'unlearn' one way of doing things for a newer way. No way around it though, just keep listening. That phonetics thingy was one way I didn't try, probably tried every other way imaginable, and it all boils down to listening. When you get to the point where it's the total sound of a character, not the dits and dahs that it's composed of, you've pretty well got it made. Then it's just more of that @#$ listening to get your speed up.
Another 'limit' is the speed at which you can write. No way around that either, and that 'limit' is different for everyone. If you can type, it's easier. If you have to learn to 'touch' type, then it just increased in difficulty by a huge amount. Oh well... never could type worth a @#$ either.
Have fun!
- 'Doc

I didn't have the opportunity to learn to use "paddles" when I was actually getting paid to know and use Morse code -- they didn't exist, at least as we know them now. I used a regular Navy SB-315 straight key about half the time and my Vibroplex Presentation the rest of the time.

Hammarlund marketed the HK-1B keyer back around 1964 while I was on active duty. I bought one just for the heck of it (I was unmarried and making good money...;) ). And, a paddle to go with it. However, that keyer was operated with small mechanical relays which would have been quickly toasted by the keying voltage of the transmitters we used most.

It was a cute little keyer, and watching the relays working while sending was almost hypnotic. Not really practical, though.

I learned it back in 1992

and got my tech plus lic...i made on contact on 6 and 10mtrs all modews on 6...worked a station in FLA,on am/usb/fm/cw and got the card...i heard him on 10ssb and we made a contact,he said did you know 6 is open,i told him we would try it...so i have all the qsl cards for all the contact mode and never went back to cw...been think about it,73 and good luck de n0zna

One thing I do before practicing code is have a copy of one of the ARRL code practice sessions at 40 word per minute and listen to it for about 5 minutes. It is perfectly okay if you only understand one or two letters. What you are basically doing is playing a trick on you brain. No practice at the speed you are wanting to learn and it will now appear a lot slower than normal in part because you have been listening at a faster speed. Give it a try it helps. Then when the normal practice get hard again then it is time to listen to 40 WPM

hi moleculo ,i dont know what your time schdule is and where your located but im in the same boat as far as getting back into code.I was at about 25 wpm at my best 15 yrs ago and one day one of my pieces of equitment broke and i never started back up till now.Im finding that practicing on air with someone helps and conditions are good!im up in north id. and im sure if we came up with a time and freq. we cud practice together.I like kg0mn method of listening to faster code before practicing.Anyway , alot of the bands are hot right now so if your interested pm. me in well figure it out , Darryl kc7max

Same principal I used playing pocket billiards. Before a tourney I would play snooker on a 6'x12' table before coming over to the 5'x10'.

Seemed liked it helped.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.