• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Remember: You MUST allow your Station to be Inspected!

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
CB station receives $7,000 fine for "locking down" channel 19 and refusing to allow the agent on-scene to inspect the station..

I am making this post because,

1) Many people never read Part 95 of the FCC Rules.

2) They rely on friends, myth, and opinion.

3) Confusion about what the law actually is

I read about so many operators who are confused about FCC's ability to inspect your station---and it applies to CB, Ham, Broadcast, common carrier communications. IOW, if you put a signal on the air, FCC is the regulatory agency under which you do so. You MUST allow them to inspect your station as a licensee! Just because you are not issued a "paper" license does not mean you're scott free. Confusion exists over the constitutional right to privacy and the regulations that state that a station must allow inspection. Here is the crux of that confusion. YES! You MAY refuse to allow an FCC agent into your house (or the police unless they have a warrant). However, IF you are doing something wrong, the agents already have you recorded. They have measurements, data, and facts After all, it is that very data and YOUR transmission that LED them to your house to start with! :D And you can wrap yourself up your "constitutional rights" until you turn BLUE.....................BUT!! There is a rule in Part 95 that covers your refusal to allow the agent to enter. So, YES!
You can refuse to let the agent in! You can tell him to go pound sand! But he will then issue a FINE for that refusal that will be equal to, or exceed that which you might have gotten if you had just let him in! IOW, if you had just let 'im in, you might have gotten a warning. By telling him to go pound sand, you might've just p---ed him off! :p So this is what happens when you commit an infraction and then tell the agent to (censored) off!

Before the

Federal Communications Commission

Washington, D.C. 20554

)

In the Matter of )

Donald Winton ) File Number: EB-07-HU-007

Licensee of Citizen Band Radio ) NAL/Acct. No.: 200732540003
Station
) FRN: 0016201386
Corpus Christi, Texas
)

)

NOTICE OF APPARENT LIABILITY FOR FORFEITURE

Released: April 23, 2007

By the Resident Agent, Houston Office, South Central Region, Enforcement
Bureau:

I. INTRODUCTION

1. In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture ("NAL"), we find
that Donald Winton, licensee of a Citizen Band ("CB") radio station,
in Corpus Christi, Texas, apparently willfully violated Section
95.426(a) of the Commission's Rules ("Rules") by failing to make his
CB radio station available for inspection. We conclude, pursuant to
Section 503(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"),
that Mr. Winton is apparently liable for a forfeiture in the amount of
seven thousand dollars ($7,000).

II. BACKGROUND

2. On February 21, 2007, in response to a complaint that a CB radio
station in Corpus Christi, Texas was jamming communications on CB
channel 19 by continually re-broadcasting the programming of a local
AM broadcast station, an agent from the Commission's Houston Office of
the Enforcement Bureau ("Houston Office") monitored communications on
CB channel 19 in the Corpus Christi area. The agent observed a radio
signal on CB channel 19 re-broadcasting the programming of a local AM
broadcast station; and using radio direction finding techniques
determined that the signal originated from an antenna mounted on a
house in Corpus Christi, Texas.

3. Still on February 21, 2007, while the agent was making measurements on
the radio signal from the CB radio station, Donald Winton exited the
house and walked down the driveway. The agent introduced himself as an
FCC agent, and requested to inspect the CB radio station inside the
house. Mr. Winton confirmed this location was his residence and that
the CB station belonged to him, but refused to make the station
available for inspection. The agent advised Mr. Winton that the
Commission's Rules require the operator of a CB radio station to make
the station available for inspection. Mr. Winton still refused to make
the station available for inspection. The agent then requested that
Mr. Winton go inside and take the station off the air because it was
blocking communications on CB radio channel 19. Mr. Winton walked into
the house and the station's transmissions ceased. Mr. Winton returned
and continued to refuse to make the station available for inspection,
so the agent left the area.

III. DISCUSSION

4. Section 503(b) of the Act provides that any person who willfully or
repeatedly fails to comply substantially with the terms and conditions
of any license, or willfully or repeatedly fails to comply with any of
the provisions of the Act or of any rule, regulation or order issued
by the Commission thereunder, shall be liable for a forfeiture
penalty. The term "willful" as used in Section 503(b) has been
interpreted to mean simply that the acts or omissions are committed
knowingly.

5. Section 95.426(a) requires that if an authorized FCC representative
requests to inspect your CB station, you must make your station and
records available for inspection. Mr. Winton admitted to an agent from
the Houston Office that he had a CB radio station within his
residence. In addition, Mr. Winton demonstrated he had access to and
control of the station by entering his residence and turning the
transmitter off, while the agent waited outside. On February 21, 2007,
in response to several requests by agent to inspect his station, Mr.
Winton refused to make his CB station available for inspection.

6. Based on the evidence before us, we find that Mr. Winton apparently
willfully violated Sections 95.426(a) of the Rules by failing to make
his CB radio station available for inspection.

7. Pursuant to The Commission's Forfeiture Policy Statement and Amendment
of Section 1.80 of the Rules to Incorporate the Forfeiture Guidelines,
("Forfeiture Policy Statement"), and Section 1.80 of the Rules, the
base forfeiture amount for failing to permit inspection is $7,000. In
assessing the monetary forfeiture amount, we must also take into
account the statutory factors set forth in Section 503(b)(2)(E) of the
Act, which include the nature, circumstances, extent, and gravity of
the violations, and with respect to the violator, the degree of
culpability, and history of prior offenses, ability to pay, and other
such matters as justice may require. Applying the Forfeiture Policy
Statement, Section 1.80, and the statutory factors to the instant
case, we conclude that Donald Winton is apparently liable for a $7,000
forfeiture.

IV. ORDERING CLAUSES

8. Accordingly, IT IS ORDERED that, pursuant to Section 503(b) of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended, and Sections 0.111, 0.311,
0.314 and 1.80 of the Commission's Rules, Donald Winton is hereby
NOTIFIED of this APPARENT LIABILITY FOR A FORFEITURE in the amount of
seven thousand dollars ($7,000) for violations of Sections 95.426(a)
of the Rules.

9. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that, pursuant to Section 1.80 of the
Commission's Rules within thirty days of the release date of this
Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture, Donald Winton SHALL PAY
the full amount of the proposed forfeiture or SHALL FILE a written
statement seeking reduction or cancellation of the proposed
forfeiture.

10. Payment of the forfeiture must be made by check or similar instrument,
payable to the order of the Federal Communications Commission. The
payment must include the NAL/Acct. No. and FRN No. referenced above.
Payment by check or money order may be mailed to Federal
Communications Commission, P.O. Box 358340, Pittsburgh, PA
15251-8340. Payment by overnight mail may be sent to Mellon
Bank /LB 358340, 500 Ross Street, Room 1540670, Pittsburgh, PA
15251. Payment by wire transfer may be made to ABA Number 043000261,
receiving bank Mellon Bank, and account number 911-6106.

11. The response, if any, must be mailed to Federal Communications
Commission, Enforcement Bureau, South Central Region, Houston Office,
9597 Jones Road, # 362, Houston, Texas, 77065 and must include the
NAL/Acct. No. referenced in the caption.

12. The Commission will not consider reducing or canceling a forfeiture in
response to a claim of inability to pay unless the petitioner submits:
(1) federal tax returns for the most recent three-year period; (2)
financial statements prepared according to generally accepted
accounting practices ("GAAP"); or (3) some other reliable and
objective documentation that accurately reflects the petitioner's
current financial status. Any claim of inability to pay must
specifically identify the basis for the claim by reference to the
financial documentation submitted.

13. Requests for payment of the full amount of this Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture under an installment plan should be sent to:
Associate Managing Director, Financial Operations, 445 12th Street,
S.W., Room 1A625, Washington, D.C. 20554.^8

14. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that a copy of this Notice of Apparent Liability
for Forfeiture shall be sent by Certified Mail, Return Receipt
Requested, and regular mail, to Donald Winton at his address of
record.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

Stephen P. Lee

Resident Agent,

Houston Office

South Central Region

Enforcement Bureau

47 C.F.R. S 95.426(a).

47 U.S.C. S 503(b).

Section 312(f)(1) of the Act, 47 U.S.C. S 312(f)(1), which applies to
violations for which forfeitures are assessed under Section 503(b) of the
Act, provides that "[t]he term 'willful', when used with reference to the
commission or omission of any act, means the conscious and deliberate
commission or omission of such act, irrespective of any intent to violate
any provision of this Act or any rule or regulation of the Commission
authorized by this Act...." See Southern California Broadcasting Co., 6
FCC Rcd 4387 (1991).

47 C.F.R. S 95.426(a)

12 FCC Rcd 17087 (1997), recon. denied, 15 FCC Rcd 303 (1999); 47 C.F.R.
S1.80.

47 U.S.C. S 503(b)(2)(E).

47 U.S.C. S 503(b), 47 C.F.R. SS 0.111, 0.311, 0.314, 1.80, 95.426(a).

^8 See 47 C.F.R. S 1.1914.

(...continued from previous page)

(continued....)

Federal Communications Commission

Federal Communications Commission[/i]

I don't know much about FCC regulations because I am very new at this so take this with a grain of salt. What I do know is that if someone comes to my door and demands to inspect something in my home, I am demanding a warrent. I totally understand that an agent can inspect a users radio rig per the Fcc regulations. However Nothing trumps the consitution. when agent can trace a signal back to its source and can prove that said signal is outside the confines of the FCC regulations the agent should use these findings to obtain a warrent. With warrent in hand they can inspect anything listed on the warrent. IF I AM WRONG WOULD SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE AND WHY.

I don't know much about FCC regulations because I am very new at this so take this with a grain of salt. What I do know is that if someone comes to my door and demands to inspect something in my home, I am demanding a warrent. I totally understand that an agent can inspect a users radio rig per the Fcc regulations. However Nothing trumps the consitution. when agent can trace a signal back to its source and can prove that said signal is outside the confines of the FCC regulations the agent should use these findings to obtain a warrent. With warrent in hand they can inspect anything listed on the warrent. IF I AM WRONG WOULD SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE AND WHY.

Correct...

I look at it this way its your choice to let them inspect your setup or tell them to F@ck OFF thats all up to you and if that makes you feel better then hey what the hell right.

All there gonna do is double your fine some people may have thousands to burn and telling the FCC to take a flying f@ck in a rolling doughnut may certainly be worth the extra few thousand thats there business and decission.

All in all we all know the rules and laws and if we choose to break them rather it be speeding or whatever we know what the end result is if and when we are caught. Sure we have the right to refuse even after were told of what is going to happen if we do so so atleast theres no surprises.

I dont uinderstand why anyone would get lippy or refuse inspection knowing what is instore for them if they do choose to use or excersise this right for the short while they will be able to use it and then its like buying a vowel on the wheel of fortune your charged for using the right and the bill comes I just dont see what is gained buy it!?

Its simple if your running a not so legal station why cause or bring attention to your self by jamming airwaves or hammering the neighbors TV sets on Sunsay afternoon? Thats like doing 90MPH around residential streets while you have a large mix drink in your cup holder and 6 of them in your belly.

I look at it this way its your choice to let them inspect your setup or tell them to F@ck OFF thats all up to you and if that makes you feel better then hey what the hell right.

All there gonna do is double your fine some people may have thousands to burn and telling the FCC to take a flying f@ck in a rolling doughnut may certainly be worth the extra few thousand thats there business and decission.

All in all we all know the rules and laws and if we choose to break them rather it be speeding or whatever we know what the end result is if and when we are caught. Sure we have the right to refuse even after were told of what is going to happen if we do so so atleast theres no surprises.

I dont uinderstand why anyone would get lippy or refuse inspection knowing what is instore for them if they do choose to use or excersise this right for the short while they will be able to use it and then its like buying a vowel on the wheel of fortune your charged for using the right and the bill comes I just dont see what is gained buy it!?

Its simple if your running a not so legal station why cause or bring attention to your self by jamming airwaves or hammering the neighbors TV sets on Sunsay afternoon? Thats like doing 90MPH around residential streets while you have a large mix drink in your cup holder and 6 of them in your belly.

You are right of course.
Although one may be operating a radio in an illegal manner; the principle of standing for one's individual rights carries no penalty and cannot be infringed upon - even and especially by its own government. Any lawyer worth their weight in law books can make that case. But of course, if one must go into a Federal court for such a charge; one has already paid the extra fine/penalty for just having to acquire an attorney. Unless you obtain a court appointed attorney.

If the Fed boys wanted to dot all of their i's and cross all of their t's correctly; they would be ready with a warrant anyway. One just doesn't let anyone in - after making a claim that they are the FCC with more than just saying who they are and flashing a badge. Showing up with local law enforcement to make good on a warrant is the minimum of expectations.

Unless you obtain a court appointed attorney.
They make an end run around the Constitution by making it a civil case.

The court has no obligation to provide legal assistance in one.

I do stand on my Fourth Amendment right against illegal search and seizure.

This is proudly displayed on the back of my Jeep.

productimagepictureidon.gif

All we have to do as citizens, is to say "NO", I will stand up for my rights.

Rights are like muscles, unless you exercise them, you lose them.

i_do_not_consent_to_being_searched

Thats like doing 90MPH around residential streets while you have a large mix drink in your cup holder and 6 of them in your belly.

I didn't see you, how did you see me?:love:

They cannot make it a civil case unless thay can be found correct in their case in a federal court first for the FCC complaint. The Feds may get an injunction to get an individual to stop transmitting.

It is only a little bit different for a CBer than a Ham. The Ham could get in more trouble than the CBer would. They have no license to lose. Either would get fined.

I understand what you both are saying but remember were talking about our Government which is more like a Comedy Central Commission!! There going to do whatever they want to reguardless thats basically and sadly the fact.

I couldnt imagine going to court and trying to fight the Government there about as crooked as they come! And would make this no different than anyother court situation and make up there rules as they go its pretty sad.

Like I said I personally would do whatever it took to prevent myself from ever being put in such a situation I just dont understand why others would let things get to this point. I know some dont ask for it and it just happens but sheesh like this fella in the article he just added to there stripping of American rights and the Government easy money making parade. :blink:

Make it a media event by making a YouTube video and contacting the local TV broadcaster with a story. Anything the Fed government does locally is newsworthy. Media pressure along with public support means the Fed workers must do it right - the public now watches them.
On with the Circus!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
To bad the FCC dont hang around Terra Haute In. or Springfield Oh. Hmmmm
maybe i should trade in my CDL for a FCC badge ???? LOL What is sad is some rights that we used to have somehow slipped away under the Goverment red carpet.

I remember reading an article which pretty much said that all the FCC can do is levy out fines, they have no true way to enforce those fines though. Many people have never paid a penny of what the FCC has gone after them for.

I'll see if I can find where I put it.

Very interesting.
They want to violate the 4 amendment and constitutionally don’t have the right to regulate anything that doesn’t cross state lines (see commerce clause of the Constitution).

They file it as a fine so they don’t have to go to court.

The guy is blocking ch19.

I don’t know who to root for. Both groups appear to be trouble.

I think I will restate something that a lawyer said to me long ago. NEVER, NEVER talk to the police, feds,…..

You are right of course.
Although one may be operating a radio in an illegal manner; the principle of standing for one's individual rights carries no penalty and cannot be infringed upon - even and especially by its own government. Any lawyer worth their weight in law books can make that case. But of course, if one must go into a Federal court for such a charge; one has already paid the extra fine/penalty for just having to acquire an attorney. Unless you obtain a court appointed attorney.

If the Fed boys wanted to dot all of their i's and cross all of their t's correctly; they would be ready with a warrant anyway. One just doesn't let anyone in - after making a claim that they are the FCC with more than just saying who they are and flashing a badge. Showing up with local law enforcement to make good on a warrant is the minimum of expectations.

Sorry Boys,

Doesnt work that way. In using the radio waves, you are giving implied consent to the rules of the FCC and in turn, you are agreeing to let them inspect your station at any time. In no way does this infringe on your rights. That is the same as driving. In accepting the license, you are consenting to being held responsible for, and liable for disobeying anfy traffic regulations, which means that you can be stopped at any time and for any reason if you are the operator of a vehicle.

You might need to reread the regs.

Not condoning, just explaining.

PR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.