• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Remote Base Radio Control - With No Skype Wanted

jmz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 8, 2010
Hello all....

Does anyone have any information or ideas on an existing software package that has the ability to control a remote base for a family based remote base to be utilized by my dad and myself. We want to use an FT857D as the radio and do not want to use skype for tx/rx audio. Any ideas, tips, links, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

73!

John KE4HGR

Do you want it for voice or digital modes? One way to control your computer remotely is to use a program called Teamviewer. Here is the link:TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet. It is free for personal ues. It can be used on Windows, Mac, Linux and mobile devices ipad, iphone and android. You can set up to access your base computer remotely and operate any of your software. I use it all the time to help my dad with computer issues that he is having. I take complete control of his system. He is only 600 miles away.:) You can give that a try. Use it to control what ever rig control software you wish. I don't know if it works for sound though but it will work great for digital modes.(y)

Thanks for the reply...I will check this link out further and see what I can do with it. I do want to do digital modes and voice as well. I'm really surprised that there isn't a software out there that someone has created to remote base the the modern computer controlled transceivers...I use a version of software to remote base into a repeater club website and works very well with a Kenwood TS2000 but it is only compatible with a few Kenwoods....and there doesn't seem to be a comparable software for the newer yeasu FT's.

John - KE4HGR

I'm using RemoteRig with my Kenwood TS-480. You can find info here www.remoterig.com and can be purchased at Ham Radio Outlet Ham Radio Outlet | RemoteRig 1258MKII-S-SET | STEREO (DUAL RECEIVE) REMOTERIG CONTROL SET

The head unit connects to the "control box", and the radio connects to the "remote box" (at the remote site). They are linked through the internet. No computer is needed to operate the radio, and the radio works just like the control head and radio were in the same room.

The control and remote boxes have RS-232 ports so you can do computer rig control from the control end (no computer needed at the remote site). I'm using Ham Radio Deluxe, N1MM (contest software), and ACLog to control the radio and log contacts.

You can operate digital modes and CW using RemoteRig. It passes audio from the remote radio to the control box. I use the a SignaLink at the control end for PSK and RTTY. RemoteRig has an internal CW keyer on the control box or you can use an external keyer, or key CW from a rig control program .

The set up is a little complicated. The jumpers inside the boxes have to be configured for your radio and you have to open some ports on the router at the remote site.

This set up works great for me. I take with me on trips and can operate my rig from the hotel room. Other users report satisfactory results with 3G internet connections but I have not tried this set up.

Good luck with your project

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.