• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Remote control amp on/off

Big Kahuna

Jul 31, 2008
I'm getting a new vehicle in a couple of months and it has a very cool hidden spot where I could install an amp for a very clean install (hidden) however it would be inaccessable to turn the amp on or off and I don't want to hardwire a remote power switch.

Has anyone tried using a remote control switch for applying power to an amp?

https://www.12vmonster.com/products/dc-12v-latching-10a-heavy-duty-boat-car-low-voltage-wireless-remote-control-kit?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw7rWKBhAtEiwAJ3CWLNxqtdXQ2mQOXMCokNqLbdD1JeNqFVosPrZQK5xA8sMtb9zmAefU_BoCEb4QAvD_BwE

That's just an example - then one I'm looking at is 40 amp

Last edited:

Depends, under load it won't do the job, switching it in rest no problem it is rated for 350 watt and/or 30 amp so i would not use it under full load.
I rather have something rated at 50 amps if you want to switch 40 amps reliable.

Depends, under load it won't do the job, switching it in rest no problem it is rated for 350 watt and/or 30 amp so i would not use it under full load.
I rather have something rated at 50 amps if you want to switch 40 amps reliable.

The amp in question will draw less than 30 amps so the amperage shouldn't be an issue. My bigger box wouldn't fit in this location so this vehicle is going to only be doing 200-300W. The remote I'm looking at is a 40 amp version but I couldn't post the link from Amazon.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried one of these for this purpose?

200 - 300 watt output, or input power?
Even a class C amplifier has at best an efficiency of 50 or 60%, so with 200 watts out input will be 350 to 400 watt input i presume 12 volt
350 watt input at 12 volt is 29.15 amp D.C. in.
400 watt input =33.3 D.C. amp.
Both very close to the maximum amp rating of that relay, looking at the picture it is an electronic relay that will burn out soon after max rating is reached.
The old mechanical relay's had some head space, electronic relays are just fast fuses used just over the stated limit....

Are you wanting to use it with the remote jack on the amp or just wired into the on/off switch? If so, that will work fine. The on/off switch has VERY little current passing through it. Now if you were planning on using it for the main feed line, nope not gonna work.

The power switch in a large amplifier usually only controls the relay circuit and lights. Small current rating for the switch, skinny wires leading to it.

Typical remote setup will be a SPST switch on a long single wire leading to the 'cold' side of the front-panel power switch. The built-in switch is turned off, and the remote switch attaches to a source of 12 Volts (with a suitable fuse) near where it's mounted.

Only takes one skinny wire to do it this way.

Reactions: Blackcat630
The power switch in a large amplifier usually only controls the relay circuit and lights. Small current rating for the switch, skinny wires leading to it.

Typical remote setup will be a SPST switch on a long single wire leading to the 'cold' side of the front-panel power switch. The built-in switch is turned off, and the remote switch attaches to a source of 12 Volts (with a suitable fuse) near where it's mounted.

Only takes one skinny wire to do it this way.

Not using the AMP remote switching input, just controlling the actual power leading to the amp. In the past I've run the shutoff wire to a switch on the dash but in this case the vehicle already has the wires in place for power in this specific cubby but I'd rather not have to run the additional wire so that's why I was thinking the 40a remote switch might work.

Guess I'll just give it a test and see.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.