• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Removing a variable AM output from a 142GTL

David Waits

Oct 13, 2014
My 142GTL has a variable output, what I believe they call dial a watt. I'm wanting to clean up the radio and get rid of some of the less desirable mods and this is one of them. I don't plan on running a box so I don't need it. So, I'm assuming they came off of VR8 and cut a trace and spliced the variable pot in, correct? Is all I have to do to get it straight is to remove the variable and repair the trace?

There are two wires coming off the variable I unsoldered one, taped it off and tried the radio, no output.
I hate crap like this.

There are two wires coming off the variable I unsoldered one, taped it off and tried the radio, no output.
I hate crap like this.
I can't see what you did from where I sit - obviously. But if there were just two wires going to the variable power pot to the board - and all you did was connect them together - then there wouldn't be any more resistance in that path and the radio would have a high dead key as the result. So, you must have done something wrong, or you messed something else up and didn't realize it. Those are the only real options here, unless the radio didn't work before you messed with it.

Last edited:
Radio worked, 3 watts AM deadkey,swung to 7 or 8, about 11 watts on SSB.I've got a feeling IC-5 is out. The MB3756 but, I have no SSB or AM. Usually, when the IC goes you still have SSB. Ordered a NTE1271 just in case. Replaced the 2SC1419 with a NTE152. Tried it both with the internal PS and a DC supply, no joy.

Okay, here's the details, I can hear static on AM, Receive light is on, when I key mic, led turns red for transmit but, I see a barely discernable jump in the rf then it drops to zero. I even replaced the 2SC2166 and the 2SC1969. yes, I'm using a three-prong grounded 25 watt weller Iron. Everything going through my Dosy into a 200 watt dummy-load..

Last edited:
Okay, here's the details, I can hear static on AM, Receive light is on, when I key mic, led turns red for transmit but, I see a barely discernable jump in the rf then it drops to zero. I even replaced the 2SC2166 and the 2SC1969. yes, I'm using a three-prong grounded 25 watt weller Iron. Everything going through my Dosy into a 200 watt dummy-load..
If that is all true and no other mistakes were made; then all you would need to do is hook that variable pot back up - and it should still work - right?

But if it doesn't; then I would sit down with the schematic that I provided in post #2 and go over that circuit and make sure everything is exactly the same as the schematic shows.

Last edited:
I'm looking to see if there are any traces cut, to which I don't see any offhand. You should be able to just remove the wires and be good to go. Outside chance that the variable pot at VR6 has gone fault. It is also possible that the 2SC1419 at TR34 (AM pass regulator transistor) may have gone fault. Better lighting on the PCB could also help me see if there's anything amiss.

~Cheers~

That's what I was meaning ET about the Camera. It's an Olympus, when the Battery goes down it goes dark. I'll have much better pics later when the battery charges back up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.