1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

removing heat sink compound?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by GnG8d, Oct 7, 2011.

1. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

I'm sure that this is not too difficult, but are there any recommended quicker/cleaner methods of removing the heat sink compound from a radio? It looks like they just slather this stuff on with a paint brush, but while I have this 2970 apart I am replacing all of the compound with more "precisely" placed Arctic Silver 5.

I'm guessing acetone or mineral spirits and a non/low lint cloth of some sort. It's some pretty tuff stuff to even wash off of your finger, and I'd rather not just push it around trying to remove it.

[​IMG]

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Dabbing it off with a dry cloth will do it. That compound stuff will get on everything! Pretty messy.

I clean the compound off the back of CB radios with alcohol. Then I run a piece of dry cloth on it and look for any spots where there may be a fiber residue. Sometimes there are metal burrs that will catch the cloth fiber, and this is a potential trouble spot. De-burring it carefully will ensure that the device insulators aren't going to be compromised by a burr sticking up. It will also insure a flat surface so that heat transfer is what it should be.

Using lapping compound on all contact surfaces might help too . . .

3. eagle1911

eagle1911 Active Member

Isopropyl Alcohol has worked well for me in the past. 70% will work, but if you have 91% use that.

4. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

Works for me, I have a bottle of 70% sitting here already, thanks guys.