• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Replacing Final

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
I have a radio here I am working on for a friend the final is blown and it is a 2sc-1096. I seem to be having trouble finding that one but I was wondering if there was another type that would be a direct replacement? By the way the radio is a teaberry big "t". Any ideas? Also any tune up points such as the amc control and am power would help.

Nat -

The 2SC1096 isn't the rf final, it is one of the modulator transistors. The big T uses two of them in a push-pull configuration. The ECG substitute will work fine. Sorry I don't have the number handy. It would be a good idea to replace both of the 1096s so that the transistors are a matched pair.

Without a transistor checker it would be almost impossible to tell correct? I took two radios the bad one and a good one, keyed the bad one next to the good one and only saw a slight meter movement. Although it could be a bad driver which is leaking enough energy to be picked up, I think it is the final. Also there is no output power what so ever. I am still learning although I have changed out final tranistors before. I love working on radios and one day I hope to get good enough to open a small shop. I have only been working on them for about two years and still have a lot to learn. If I did or said anything wrong about this please let me know, thanks.

Without a transistor checker it would be almost impossible to tell correct? I took two radios the bad one and a good one, keyed the bad one next to the good one and only saw a slight meter movement. Although it could be a bad driver which is leaking enough energy to be picked up, I think it is the final. Also there is no output power what so ever. I am still learning although I have changed out final tranistors before. I love working on radios and one day I hope to get good enough to open a small shop. I have only been working on them for about two years and still have a lot to learn. If I did or said anything wrong about this please let me know, thanks.

You can remove the transistor and do a diode check and determine if the transistor is damaged.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.