• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Replacing the infamous TR24.

El Kabong

Say what?
Apr 11, 2018
Lost Angeles, CA.
Howdy all. I was given a Cobra 148 that is missing a few parts, such as the famous TR--24 transistor. Can anyone give me a part number for a TR-24 so I can order a replacement?

You could pull out TR26 and install it at the TR24 position.

This will leave the AM modulation open, but still allow you to set the sideband ALC trimpot VR11 below the distortion point. Without TR24, there is no limiting in SSB modes. Transmitting sideband with no limiter can be quite unhealthy for the final transistor, not to mention the ears of anyone listening on the channel.

AM audio is more forgiving with the limiter disabled. SSB will sound like dirt without it.

Not sure who you go to for "just one" 2SC945.

Thanks guys. I needed that.

One last question. Should there be two open holes near TR24? They are just forward of 24's spot and are not marked with an ID. I suspect they are unused.

Last edited:
Some of those open holes are feed through passages to conduct a signal or voltages from one side of the board to the other. Also used to jump over a traces in the design.
Quite common on two layer circuit boards(Double Sided) Also one of the reasons you will see jumper wires going from one point to another.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.