• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Replacing the Potentiometer Texas Star DX667V

jtrouter

Jul 7, 2015
Question for those who know more than myself, The variable on the DX667V calls for a 100ohm 2watter.
I plan on using a 5 watt version but should i use a regular carbon type or a wire wound?
I know that i have read before that under certain uses wire wound should not be used. So do i order regular or wire wound? Thank you and look forward to learn.

The original has either a carbon or "plastic" carbon element. A wirewound will also act like a choke coil, so the result is less predictable. Conventional wisdom says it's a bad idea. Haven't tried it, though. Sometimes things that shouldn't work will squeak by just close enough.

Good luck locating a not-wirewound control rated for 5 Watts. Everything rated for more than two Watts is wirewound, that I have found. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means I haven't found it. Our solution to the problem is to tell the customer turn it all the way up and control the carrier with the radio. Lasts longer that way.

Reactions: Ranch55 and NZ8N
The original has either a carbon or "plastic" carbon element. A wirewound will also act like a choke coil, so the result is less predictable. Conventional wisdom says it's a bad idea. Haven't tried it, though. Sometimes things that shouldn't work will squeak by just close enough.

Good luck locating a not-wirewound control rated for 5 Watts. Everything rated for more than two Watts is wirewound, that I have found. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means I haven't found it. Our solution to the problem is to tell the customer turn it all the way up and control the carrier with the radio. Lasts longer that way.

Thank you, i knew that i had read that wire wounds were not to be used around RF/radio. Spec is 2 watt but as it has failed my thought was to bump u the wattage just to be safe and i would hope last longer than the failed one. Guess i will stick to the 2 watt ones that were easy to find. As always thank you for your help.

In the 40's-60's they made 4 watt carbon potentiometers but the last manufacturer ceased production in the late 60's. I still saw them new at a couple US-based electronics mail-order places until 1975 with dwindling supplies towards the end. All of the common values that the Johnson and Collins radios used were gone in the early 70's. "Fair Radio Sales" would get small inventories into the 80's but almost never of the commonly used values.

In the 40's-60's they made 4 watt carbon potentiometers but the last manufacturer ceased production in the late 60's. I still saw them new at a couple US-based electronics mail-order places until 1975 with dwindling supplies towards the end. All of the common values that the Johnson and Collins radios used were gone in the early 70's. "Fair Radio Sales" would get small inventories into the 80's but almost never of the commonly used values.
Thank you for the response, looks like 2 watt is as large as i can find and most of them now are made of cermet. And from what i read is very much like metal film.
So i guess i will see how the cermet 2 watt potentiometer works in the application.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.