• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Requirements for DX

ND88

Feb 7, 2014
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
I know the biggest variable when it comes to shooting skip is atmospheric conditions, and it is possible on the right day even with a stock radio and a decent mobile antenna.
But I also know it is extremely unlikely for this to happen with the amount of power most people are pushing over the airwaves, and far more likely that you are getting keyed over.

My current setup: Galaxy DX959 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna in my truck. I have not had any luck making long distance contacts with this setup. In fact, my furthest contact in the month that i've had this setup has been 3 miles.

My question is, what is my next move if I want to get in on all the DXing I hear on 17, 15, 28, and 38 LSB?? Would an amp like the Xforce Midnight Special 200 or TNT 250 give me enough of a boost to be heard in the world of sound?? Or do I need to focus on getting a base setup going?

Thanks for any help, sorry if this topic is beat to death!
:bdh:

I have a Predator 10-k on a mag and a uniden 78 tuned by my self. I talked to tenn. the other day really well. Also made a contact to Florida. Mobile to base I can talk 20-30 miles local. When I was down in AZ I talked to tenn as well.

Its really the conditions... An amp will help when you have poor or even good conditions to make your station break through the clutter.

You have a good setup right now. What is your swr? Why get a small amp like you have listed? Might as well go a little bigger.

An amp is not always the answer, its all about the antenna! How is the antenna mounted? Is the whip shielded by metal? Mother nature controls how far you talk but a good antenna with help.

Have a look here for just about everything you want to know about mobile antennas.

Reactions: 2 people
I shoot skip on 28 mostly. Conditions change day to day even hour to hour. I think I'm telling you this and myself. Last week or two I have not made one contact. Kinda burned out... Haha :)

I have a Predator 10-k on a mag and a uniden 78 tuned by my self. I talked to tenn. the other day really well. Also made a contact to Florida. Mobile to base I can talk 20-30 miles local. When I was down in AZ I talked to tenn as well.

Its really the conditions... An amp will help when you have poor or even good conditions to make your station break through the clutter.

You have a good setup right now. What is your swr? Why get a small amp like you have listed? Might as well go a little bigger.

SWR is reading at 1.4 on my external meter. I didn't even have to adjust it to get that reading. I have it mounted right on the roof of my 99 GMC Sierra. About 12' to the tip of the whip.

As for the smaller amp, I was kind of wanting to go with something minimal, just enough to break out of the muck. I don't have a whole lot to spend since i'd like to get a Maco antenna up on my roof by the time summer rolls around ;)... I'm also not the best at installing this kind of stuff, so I didn't want to have to make many modifications to the electrical system in my truck. But what would you suggest, and what kind of benefit would going a little bigger give me?

I also need to try driving to a higher elevation and trying from there. I am in a bit of a valley.

I know the biggest variable when it comes to shooting skip is atmospheric conditions, and it is possible on the right day even with a stock radio and a decent mobile antenna.
But I also know it is extremely unlikely for this to happen with the amount of power most people are pushing over the airwaves, and far more likely that you are getting keyed over.

My current setup: Galaxy DX959 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna in my truck. I have not had any luck making long distance contacts with this setup. In fact, my furthest contact in the month that i've had this setup has been 3 miles.

My question is, what is my next move if I want to get in on all the DXing I hear on 17, 15, 28, and 38 LSB?? Would an amp like the Xforce Midnight Special 200 or TNT 250 give me enough of a boost to be heard in the world of sound?? Or do I need to focus on getting a base setup going?

Thanks for any help, sorry if this topic is beat to death!
:bdh:

You might consider doing a channel mod to your radio. This will let you get up in the SSB skip band above channel 40. A nice small 250 watt amplifier will also be cool. On a quiet channel with just a barefoot radio you can talk DX no problem.

Reactions: 1 person
1.4 is okay. Most amps setups are the same in the 200-1000 watt range. With any amp you have to ground it to the body. Like under the carpet by the seat bolt. If money is tight your smaller amps listed are fine. Otherwise, you might regret not going a little bigger. What do you plan on using am or ssb or both?

Right now I am running an export ( General Lee ) and a skip shooter 4.5 footer in a semi truck. Tuesday I was south of Chicago talking to Florida. Deal with bonding issues and be persistent.

Rubbish. I manage contacts all over the world on 10m with 100W mobile despite going up against big gun stations running 1.5kW into beams on towers.

I have not had any luck making long distance contacts with this setup. In fact, my furthest contact in the month that i've had this setup has been 3 miles.

You have a problem with your installation. The other day using just 4W mobile to mobile a friend and I had a conversation over 9 miles over less than flat ground, me using a Sirio 5000 on a magmount, him using a Sirio 3000 on a fixed roof mount. An amp WILL NOT cure your problem. Go to www.k0bg.com and read everything then install the mount, antenna and bonding how he says to do it on his website. I've installed my screwdriver antenna the way it says on that website and I get constant "can't believe you're mobile" reports especially talking to the USA from the UK.

Unfortunately the first thought with most CBer's and new hams is more power. This is not the answer, as was mentioned above have the radio tuned up and expanded and check the freq's above 40. Run SSB and you will make contacts all across the country and world. Mother nature will control your DX contacts but you control the local work. Your antenna sounds like it should be fine. As mentioned the band conditions are a bit flaky now but keep at it and you will get there.

I know my 959 was way off right out of the box...it took a good tech over an hour to fix it. More channels and more power are unnecessary...but having a good tuned radio is.

That's why I asked if anyone had been in the radio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Make 10m 40 distinct channels instead of making apples to oranges comparisons. I never got into the whole ham vs cb thing, but the "work the world on 100w or less" statement/attitude is tired and used up.

To the OP, with your setup I would concentrate my efforts on channels 36-40 lsb, probably 37, 39 or 40. I'm with the Jerk also, make sure the radio is doing what it's supposed to, I never trust them right out of the box. They are generally pretty close, but not always.

Ever hear Location - Location- location
Find a location near your home that gives you the best results,then park it for DX.Near open water, top of a hill,top of a high rise parking garage, etc.
You will get more reliable dx. Listen on 38 SSB many of the best performers have found a spot and don't move.In Europe this is very popular to even use a beam on the vehicle.
I would also suggest a channel that is less busy.
If possible check out 27.440 SSB.
985chicago

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.