• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Requirements for DX

I know the biggest variable when it comes to shooting skip is atmospheric conditions, and it is possible on the right day even with a stock radio and a decent mobile antenna.

My current setup: Galaxy DX959 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna in my truck. I have not had any luck making long distance contacts with this setup. In fact, my furthest contact in the month that i've had this setup has been 3 miles.

My question is, what is my next move if I want to get in on all the DXing I hear on 17, 15, 28, and 38 LSB?? Would an amp like the Xforce Midnight Special 200 or TNT 250 give me enough of a boost to be heard in the world of sound?? Or do I need to focus on getting a base setup going?

Thanks for any help, sorry if this topic is beat to death!
:bdh:

i talk to folks everday 3,000 miles and further on less radio than you have,and i only run 100 watts if needed.and bottom ring of my astroplane is only 30 ft down in the trees a bit.i have also talked the same distance with 4 watts on a good day.
dont give up,keep shouting out and you will find out youself..when its too crowded on 38lsb try it on 38lsb..j9

Yeah. I believe you, it doesn't take much power to work stations around the world in the right conditions. I'm not doubting that. There's just so many stations pushing power that most low power TX is drowned out. The skip has been coming out of my radio strong for the last two days now.

Anytime I am in my truck I call out my numbers repeatedly on 38 lsb until i'm blue in the face, but i've never heard them repeated back. In fact, I haven't made a contact on sideband yet since I got a radio with ssb capabilities.

Last edited:
ssb is the best place for easy contacts imo,as you have a lil more power on sideband than am to get out with.
maybe your system is not matched good or something..j9

Can you give us an idea of your antenna installation?

wilson 1000 mag mount on the roof of my gmc pickup. SWR reading of 1.4 across the band. I've got the antenna coax running in through my hinged window on the side. I stuck a piece of wood in the edge of the window so that it won't crimp the coax. no pressure on it.

wilson 1000 mag mount on the roof of my gmc pickup. SWR reading of 1.4 across the band. I've got the antenna coax running in through my hinged window on the side. I stuck a piece of wood in the edge of the window so that it won't crimp the coax. no pressure on it.

That should be sufficient in that case. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bumper mounted job.

Next time your in your truck find a nice quiet open spot. Listen on 37 or 39 LSB. If you hear a QSO what till there done and start calling the stations numbers.... Try repeatedly. Or if you hear an on going conversation try calling out QSK. Its like a break on AM. They might let you in to the conversation. Your gonna have better luck on 36 37 39 40 than 38...its pretty much a zoo.

Guess the question is how hard and long do you want to work? He'll I work 60+ hours a week and many weekends. Don't have much time, and don't want to work on my freetime. So I only run the min. amount of power to be heard 100% of the time.

I like the idea of having to work for contacts. Because when I finally do hear my numbers called back, it will all be worth while. I think if I could just get my radio tuned, everything would change. It's likely that the Galaxy isn't pushing a full 4 watts, and I don't think it's hitting 12 watts on sideband either. seems to hover around 8 on the interal meter on sideband when I'm talking.

I've got several days off of work coming up, Going to be monitoring conditions and if the skip is rolling, i'm going to look for some good spots to make some QSOs on sideband. Might go park by the lake or something, get some fishing in too.

SSB is hard to measure. The peaks last so little time the meter can't react quick enough so proper meters for measuring SSB have a powered circuit in.

Best way to test without spending $100 on a peak hold meter is to get a tone generator app for your phone, generate a 1kHz tone and hold it near the mic.

I don't know if CBs have a ALC circuit in but on amateur radios if you overdrive the TX audio by having the mic gain up too much it actually can reduce the power output on SSB.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow, thanks for that post. I have been getting frustrated trying to measure the power level on ssb. Sometimes the needle spikes all over the place while i'm calling CQs, other times it just hovers around the middle.The tone generator seems like a good idea.

That could be part of my problem. I run the mic gain all the way up on AM and SSB because I'm running a stock cobra mic on my galaxy, I get reports on AM that it is quiet, so i ordered a power mic that is on its way. Hoping this will help a little bit. I'll try lowering my mic gain on ssb and see if that has any effect on the meter.

no deadkey on ssb like on am..when on ssb you can shout a long auuuudio and look at the meter and thats the watts your doing on ssb.
also with just a normal meter it will just read the average watts putting out.
i have a avg and pep switch and when on pep its a lot more watts..so if your meter says your doing 8 watts when shouting auuuudio,than your prob doing more like 12 or better watts..im learning myself**Jump_im**

no deadkey on ssb like on am..when on ssb you can shout a long auuuudio and look at the meter and thats the watts your doing on ssb.
also with just a normal meter it will just read the average watts putting out.
i have a avg and pep switch and when on pep its a lot more watts..so if your meter says your doing 8 watts when shouting auuuudio,than your prob doing more like 12 or better watts..im learning myself**Jump_im**

Alright so I tried the auuuuuuudio method. Seems to peak around 14 watts. climbed to 18 watts several times when using a louder voice. When I turn down the mic gain to halfway, the power dropped off to around 10-12.

Still no luck making a contact though. so frustrating since i spend most of my time on ssb. I've been trying to use 36,37,39,40. these channels don't seem to be that active. i can hear chatter faintly in the background, but not as many strong signals as on 38. Lots of hispanics speaking on those channels. Pretty sure I heard some Portuguese earlier as well. That's a new one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.