• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reviving an old D-104 / T-UG8 combo

Holydvr

Tony (The Flasher) 1776 NW Arizona
Nov 2, 2018
Golden Valley, AZ
I post this knowing that everyone is different, and we all have different voices also. But, after digging around in my stash, I came upon an older tape recorder microphone that I removed the grill from and transplanted it into the head of the D-104. It is a high z type. It was almost a drop in remove and replace job aside from making a foam cutout to suspend the smaller element within the head. I have to admit that the results surprised me quite a bit given it was a “junk” mic that I had never even plugged into anything at all.

So, I began to try to see if anyone still makes them. They do. The entire design is nearly identical. It is a Philmore LM101S. Just something to keep in mind if any of you ever have the urge to experiment.

I only have a single Astatic MC320 that functions 100%.

Tony

The reports have been good with the Philmore. I did order some “new” ones to play with and I have had similar, if not semi identical results. I wish I had saved the watergate from the initial install of either, but sadly I did not. I know that a D-104 is an MC-320. What I am experimenting with is no longer a D-104 in spirit, but I figured I would try something that was an essence so to speak.

Reactions: Crawdad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.