• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF and a pacemaker

The20poundhammer

May 23, 2016
McKee Ky
Ok folks looks like i am going to have to get a pacemaker/defibrillator put in here in a few weeks. Has anyone had any experience with this? I really dont want to get rid of my stuff. Would appreciate any info.

What you are mainly worried about is 60 cycle RF interference. 60 cycle interference can affect medical devices- you can see the inference on an EKG. First example that comes to mind is bad fluorescent lights. Everyone was paranoid about the first handheld cell phones that used 800-900 Mhz. You would probably be turning your TV on and off way before you affect your pacemaker/AICD. Talk to your Electrophysiologist or Cardiologist only about the specific interference. No you should not have to get rid your stuff. The worst that could happen in theory was you may set off the AICD. Story be told, my father is a competitive rifle shooter and a rifle coach. He had to get a Pacemaker/AICD. He was practically having a panic attack after someone told him he will never be able to shoot a high power rifle any any more. After he spoke to the Electrophysiologist the restrictions were refined to "Jim, don't shoot a machine gun." the damage would be from the repetition pulse wave. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Slowmover
My MIL, having A-Fib, although was unable to use a Pacemaker, was placed in counseling for other methods.

As I took her to these different "classes" they often talked about the changes and advancements in Pacemaker technology including the ability to recharge / diagnose and even adjust thru the RF coupling thru and under the skin to help the patient.

Couldn't help her at the time, but the changes are present, they don't go into a lot of details but they are RF devices and are subject to interference. So as you may have already guessed, Bluetooth technology as well as CD RF charge coupling phone inductive charger units - they do emit EMI which can be a concern. Xrays, MRI and similar non-invasive and those energy levels they use, are the biggest danger to them.

Yes, there' an App for that now too.

Well i dont have an RF problems such as causing TVI here. I am running a bit of power but its pretty clean so i hope that will help. I have wayyy to much invested in this station to just quit.

My father had the pace maker / defibrillator installed about 10 years ago. They told him that he couldn't use his mig welder anymore. (He used it mainly for hobby working on his old jeep.) The reason being, if the defibrillator detected an erratic heartbeat, it might trigger. The doctor said that it was not necessarily a dangerous thing in itself, but it would feel like a mule kicked him in the chest. He agreed to give up his mig just incase.

I would think that you could put a field strength meter in your shack to see if there is anything to worry about.

Had a friend who was a Ham Operator & he operated a High Power HF station for years with his without any issues.He also used regular power on VHF/UHF bands with mobiles & HT's with no issues.He asked his doctor before doing so & they told him he was OK to do Ham Radio so he did.He lived a long life & died of natural causes not from a heart attack.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated