• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF Noise from Power Supply

tshows

Sep 16, 2009
Central, MS
I need your assistance and suggestions. I am running a Galaxy DX 949 on a Pyramid Heavy-Duty PSV-300 30 amp Switching DC Power Supply. My noise level on channels 1-19 usually runs about 4 to 5 S units and channels 20 -40 usually are around 2 to 3 S units. I borrowed a friends no name 5 amp 13.8vdc power supply just to see if the noise was going from the power supply or another source. With the 5 amp no name power supply hooked up the noise level was less than 1 S unit on channels 1-40. What would be my best course of action to get the noise level down using the Pyramid Heavy-Duty PSV-300? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Tommy

buy another power supply is the only recourse .switching supplies are hit or miss whether or not they throw out noise .you got one that generates rf noise .nothing can be done cept buy a different power supply.
make sure the next one is not a "switching type" unless you go iota.....those dont throw noise.
i wasnt aware pyramid made a switching supply?

here is one guys review of this supply.

stars-2-0._V47081858_.gif
One radio about to be JAMMED! Rasberry! I hate Rasberry!
This thing is not any good for a CB or other radio. My old p/s was so quiet I never had to use ANL. Well let me tell you, when this thing got cranked up anywhere in the house (not even powering the radio) the noise shot up from nothing to S-5! This would be great if your neighbors bothered you with their CB, you could use it as a jammer over in your house.

If you buy a switching power supply, make sure it is intended for use to power RF devices. There are quite a few out there that are (check online ham stores). However, as was already suggested, if you get a noise switching supply that isn't rated for RF use, you're going to get a lot of noise in your radio. I think you found this out the hard way. Sell the supply and buy a new one...it's about the only thing you can do.

If you buy a switching power supply, make sure it is intended for use to power RF devices. There are quite a few out there that are (check online ham stores). However, as was already suggested, if you get a noise switching supply that isn't rated for RF use, you're going to get a lot of noise in your radio. I think you found this out the hard way. Sell the supply and buy a new one...it's about the only thing you can do.

Could you suggest a good Ham store that i can do on-line ? I also is in need of a 50-60 amp continious power supply to power a RCI-2970n2 Thank you. This should be enough amps to run my radio.

buy the rack mount 50 amp by pyramid 555 ,that should serve you .i think they even have a bigger one for bigger$$$.they dont throw any noise.

or an iota

wont help ,been there tried that .i bought a 100amp switching supply when circut city went under .got it at a great price .thing threw an s8 in my receive .i tried the ferrites,the noise filters .
in the end i sold it .

That noise is a product of how that switching power supply works. If the noise suppression isn't done in the design and construction of the thing, it is a huge PITA to try going back through the thing to do that suppression. If you aren't very good at that sort of thing, don't even bother taking the lid off of it. You've already gotten the best advice, sell it, and replace it with something that isn't noisy. I don't own one so can't give any advice as to manufacturer. The 'quiet' ones will be a bit more expensive, they really are worth the difference (as if you didn't already know that, right?). If you are not sure about that noise thingy, ask the manufacturer, they will not be bashful about telling you. If they are, I'd look else where.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

I did have a computer switching power supply that wasn't very quiet, once. You wouldn't believe how far away you could hear that @#$ pig! I could listen to it as I drove off, and it would take more than a city block to get away from it. I replaced it and 'parted it out', nobody was going to have a chance of re-selling that 'oinker'!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and to pass along an update. By re-arranging my radio setup and doing a few other things that were mentioned on this forum and others I have been able to reduce my RFI on channels 1 thru 40 to around 1 S unit with out replacing the Pyramid PSV-300. Thanks again and have a great day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.