• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf noise

678 nh

Dec 22, 2015
Hello, i get RF noise mostly a crackleing sound but only when engine is running and only while in ssb and only when in rx. It goes away when in local if i turn down rf gain. Is the normal. Why in am its fine. Maybe ssb receive is more sensitive idk. I might add a dc filter..note everything is well grounded. Unit is 980bearcat ssb

Last edited:

Man that is weird. Even plugged into my cig lighter I get barely any hiss or whine in my 980. Check all your coax connections as well as the speaker jack connection. Also adding a good inline noise filter helps. Ground radio to a good frame bolt. Under the dash where the steering is located there are normally some good frame bolts as well as the seat frame bolts. Make sure you have removed all paint as well. And one last thing, check under the hood at the wiring for the electrical system. My old work van almost every wire under the hood for grounding had paint over the metal. I must have sanded down 10-15 of them and used no-ox on all the connections. This and bonding of exhaust to frame and adding a good noise filter helped keep my noise levels down a lot! And I was running radios with a more sensitive receive then the 980. My magnum 257hp was a magnet for noise!! But I am suprised the 980 is giving you issues. They normally have a good receive. Hope you get it resolved and hope some of this info helps. Again, good luck.

Man that is weird. Even plugged into my cig lighter I get barely any hiss or whine in my 980. Check all your coax connections as well as the speaker jack connection. Also adding a good inline noise filter helps. Ground radio to a good frame bolt. Under the dash where the steering is located there are normally some good frame bolts as well as the seat frame bolts. Make sure you have removed all paint as well. And one last thing, check under the hood at the wiring for the electrical system. My old work van almost every wire under the hood for grounding had paint over the metal. I must have sanded down 10-15 of them and used no-ox on all the connections. This and bonding of exhaust to frame and adding a good noise filter helped keep my noise levels down a lot! And I was running radios with a more sensitive receive then the 980. My magnum 257hp was a magnet for noise!! But I am suprised the 980 is giving you issues. They normally have a good receive. Hope you get it resolved and hope some of this info helps. Again, good luck.
Just connected my jumper cables to tail pipe an frame an no luck..its a jeep cherokee. .i geuse dc filter idk

All coax checked with ohm meter

Hello, i get RF noise mostly a crackleing sound but only when engine is running and only while in ssb and only when in rx. It goes away when in local if i turn down rf gain. Is the normal. Why in am its fine. Maybe ssb receive is more sensitive idk. I might add a dc filter..note everything is well grounded. Unit is 980bearcat ssb

Just make sure you've got a good solid ground. Even with a solid ground though, sometimes interference from your fuel pump or spark plugs will travel back down the shield on your coax or down your power cord and cause interference. SSB will make existing white noise a little bit louder sometimes, but if it's crackling it's probably your spark plugs because your fuel pump will make a whining.

Besides making sure you've got a good solid ground, you could also try twisting your power cord so that it looks like a barber's pole, or picking up a snap on ferrite choke to snap around your coax. Ethernet cables have all the individual wires twisted around each other, hence the name "unshielded/shielded twisted pair". Twisting them around each other helps reduce interference and crosstalk, and I have found that twisting your power cord a little bit in this manner so that it sort of looks like a barber's pole can sometimes help a little with interference that may be coming down your power cord. They make noise filters for your power cord, which may or may not help. If the noise is following your power cord it might, but if it's traveling down the shield on your coax, you might need a snap on ferrite choke or something. The in-line coax noise filters, in my experience, kind of do the same thing as the built-in NB/ANL feature of your radio (basically run it through some capacitors to even out the spikes in the audio caused by interference), and when you double up your radio's NB/ANL with an in-line filter, it kind of muffles things up.

Also check all the other electrical connections on your vehicle. When I tow a trailer with my pickup truck that has a bad ground on the lights, I will hear a pop/crackling sound every time I hit a bump, so check to make sure all your bulbs and electrical connections are good and tight.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Robb
Just make sure you've got a good solid ground. Even with a solid ground though, sometimes interference from your fuel pump or spark plugs will travel back down the shield on your coax or down your power cord and cause interference. SSB will make existing white noise a little bit louder sometimes, but if it's crackling it's probably your spark plugs because your fuel pump will make a whining.

Besides making sure you've got a good solid ground, you could also try twisting your power cord so that it looks like a barber's pole, or picking up a snap on ferrite choke to snap around your coax. Ethernet cables have all the individual wires twisted around each other, hence the name "unshielded/shielded twisted pair". Twisting them around each other helps reduce interference and crosstalk, and I have found that twisting your power cord a little bit in this manner so that it sort of looks like a barber's pole can sometimes help a little with interference that may be coming down your power cord. They make noise filters for your power cord, which may or may not help. If the noise is following your power cord it might, but if it's traveling down the shield on your coax, you might need a snap on ferrite choke or something. The in-line coax noise filters, in my experience, kind of do the same thing as the built-in NB/ANL feature of your radio (basically run it through some capacitors to even out the spikes in the audio caused by interference), and when you double up your radio's NB/ANL with an in-line filter, it kind of muffles things up.

Also check all the other electrical connections on your vehicle. When I tow a trailer with my pickup truck that has a bad ground on the lights, I will hear a pop/crackling sound every time I hit a bump, so check to make sure all your bulbs and electrical connections are good and tight.

Tx i will get a dc filter but if that dont work an i get a tvi filter for coax will that coax filter choke my power out.

There's very little you can determine about coax with only a multimeter.

Start the engine and turn the radio on. When you have the noise, disconnect the coax connector at the back of the radio. Does the noise go away? Plug the coax back in and tighten the connector. Does the noise come back (if it went away)?

Noise can get into your radio either through the antenna or through the power leads. There are different fixes, depending on just how the noise is getting in.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Robb

My power comes straight from batt. Into jeep then amp an radio tie in to the power togathr mayb radio should b separate completely. But i made sure the grounds were to chassis independently

Reactions: Retro
There's very little you can determine about coax with only a multimeter.

Start the engine and turn the radio on. When you have the noise, disconnect the coax connector at the back of the radio. Does the noise go away? Plug the coax back in and tighten the connector. Does the noise come back (if it went away)?

Noise can get into your radio either through the antenna or through the power leads. There are different fixes, depending on just how the noise is getting in.
Noise goes away when i unplug coax but doing that i get no receive an not dure if thats comin from dc or coax

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.