• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf problem

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
I put up maco ground plane antenna and i am ripping threw my roomate's computer speakers and my neighbor's,lol what can i do to stop it?

Dan

1) Move the antenna higher.
2) Make/use a RF choke/'ugly balun' or use 6 Amidon77 ferrites on coax near antenna feedpoint.
3) Make sure your system is properly grounded.
4) Keep modulation below 100%
5) Don't use any linear amp.
6) Use ferrite beads on computer speaker wires.

Having the antenna close to equipment will shower various home electronics with RF; the 'proximity effect'.

Usually, it is caused by stray RF in the form of 'common mode current' coming down the coax from the antenna.

Computer speakers are the worst thing for RFI like this. They are unshielded and contain a high gain amplifier with no RF bypassing whatsoever and the connecting wires make really good antennas to pick up the RF. I suggest starting with installing ferrite beads or cores on the power supply and interconnecting wires of the speakers and bundle them up as short as you can make them and see how that works out.

Stop making a dirty signal.

My President Dwight D. that some yahoo tuned up to 25w causes RFI in everything in the house.

My Yaesu FT101EE, does not.

Stop making a dirty signal.

My President Dwight D. that some yahoo tuned up to 25w causes RFI in everything in the house.

My Yaesu FT101EE, does not.

More often then not computer speakers are interfered with by clean signals. Since they are not a radio receiver with any kind of bandwidth whatsoever they are not subject to splatter or anything else related to a dirty signal. I put out a clean 100 watts from my ham station. I also interfere with my computer speakers but only on 80 and 160m. Clean or dirty signals have nothing to do with it. The field strength coming from the antenna combined with a little RF in the shack resulting from an inadequate ground on the inverted L is the cause. If I use the inverted VEE doublet I have no problem. Oddly enough if I use my HT on 440MHz in the same room as the speakers I interfere with them a little. My home entertainment centre in the living room with it's mile of interconnecting wires has no interference whatsoever even without taking any action to reduce the problem even when I am creaming the computer speakers so signal quality has nothing to do with it.

I run full legal limit sometimes, well on 80 meters usually, sometimes 40, and uh yep sometimes 20 meters. It did not matter what frequency I was on
I used to tear speakers up in the kids room, in the shack, and the shack is 700 feet from the house. It did not matter if I was on a yagi, a vertical or on the wire.

My pc in the study never got RFI.

I threw those dirt cheap speakers in tha garbage, the type of speakers that come with an all in one combination sale. speaker, keyboard, monitor and pc.

I replaced those cheap garbage speakers with logitech. Kids do not hear me anymore, I even streamed news cast video/audio on the pc in the shack while transmitting full legal limit, did not hear a scratch.

Exactly as C K stated, it is the speakers, or at least it was in this QTH.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.