• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf sampler smoked out my radio

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
So I got an rf sampler. Hooked it up to the radio, the other end to a 100 watt peak dummy load and bnc connector to scope. Turned on my radio and no power to radio. So I checked the radio and found a burnt trace and repaired it. I looked inside the sampler and everything was normal. I hooked the radio just up to a watt meter and everything was good. I hooked it back up to the sampler turned on the radio and up in smoke it went. It was a cobra 29 ltd chrome. I got a parts radio now, burnt wires the jack for a speaker melted.. totally hammered. Any ideas on what the hell went wrong???

So I got an rf sampler. Hooked it up to the radio, the other end to a 100 watt peak dummy load and bnc connector to scope. Turned on my radio and no power to radio. So I checked the radio and found a burnt trace and repaired it. I looked inside the sampler and everything was normal. I hooked the radio just up to a watt meter and everything was good. I hooked it back up to the sampler turned on the radio and up in smoke it went. It was a cobra 29 ltd chrome. I got a parts radio now, burnt wires the jack for a speaker melted.. totally hammered. Any ideas on what the hell went wrong???

Sounds like you hooked the pos/neg power wires to the radio - in reverse.
Nope defiantly hooked up right way. Protection diode is fine. Happened atleast three time when I hooked up the sampler. I would repair it check on meter then hook up to sampler and it would start smoking. The third time smoked it out beyond worth repairing.

I have to concur with the others. There is nothing in that RF sampler that could in any way cause that trace to burn out. Even a dead short across the output jack should not do that. It is entirely possible that the wires could have been hooked up reverse without blowing the protection diode. seen that happen many times. It all depends on the value of the inline fuse or if the power supply has over current protection or limiting.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Those pics are of the DC power input. Smoke from that area means there is a DC short.

The RF sampler has absolutely NOTHING to do with power, as it is a thru box with sampling.
So what went wrong???? Check this out, I just had the radio power on, lights on dead keying 2 watts then i hook up to rf sampler and instantly starts smoking again. Lol what the hell. I will be damned if I attempt to hook up another radio, that would be the definition of insanity lol.

I have to concur with the others. There is nothing in that RF sampler that could in any way cause that trace to burn out. Even a dead short across the output jack should not do that. It is entirely possible that the wires could have been hooked up reverse without blowing the protection diode. seen that happen many times. It all depends on the value of the inline fuse or if the power supply has over current protection or limiting.
I know for a fact beyond a shadow of a doubt that the positive and negative wires were hooked up correctly. I have the power wires hooked up to my power supply and have never removed or changed them. I just simply plug the wire into the back of the radio I'm working on.

Maybe you have a ground loop problem. One item in your test equipment may actually have AC power as a GROUND or some other defect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.