• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFX-75 on Cobra 2000GTL

Stump31

Mar 13, 2008
NJ & Florida
Has anyone Hooked up a RFX-75 on a Cobra 2000GTL? Since the 148GTL and the 2000GTL have the same board I wonder if this upgrade will work on the 2000GTL?

The cobra 2000gtl is not the same board as the 148gtl. Its more like a 146gtl. Everyone thinks the cobra 2000 is a 148gtl or grant xl in a larger box with freq counter and power supply and its really not, though it does very much resemble the 148gtl/grant xl.

Crazy D , the Cobra 2000s are basically 148s . 31 , it could be done on the 2000s "but" I truly doubt the power supply alone in the radio could handle the RFX 75. You could use the DC side of the 2000 with a good 20 amp power supply and that would work for you.

The 2000 is a good radio 31 , and they have not been built since 1993. You may be best to run a
seperate amplifer on the side if you can.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd agree with SwitchKit. Hacking up a Cobra 2000GTL makes them less valuable in the long run. I'd run a used 100 watt external amp (about $50~) with it on a separate power supply (about $60~). You would get more power out, and the price wouldn't be that much more overall.

You would also keep that radio unmolested and more valuable too - which is very big deal at this time. The Cobra 2000GTL power supplies aren't the greatest or the strongest as SK said, and you would destroy it before long if you ran the RFX...

I was kinda wondering, if a person would use another power supply just for the RFX-75 where would they get the directions to put one in a Cobra 2000?

I have 2 I may install a RFX-75 in one of mine if I can find directions.

Does anyone know how or know where to get the directions at?

I was kinda wondering, if a person would use another power supply just for the RFX-75 where would they get the directions to put one in a Cobra 2000?

I have 2 I may install a RFX-75 in one of mine if I can find directions.

Does anyone know how or know where to get the directions at?

It's your radio I guess, what a sad mistake that would be. Wow.

Reactions: 1 person
In my early days (before I knew better) I asked the same question. I didn't proceed any further. There was a guy on CBTricks about a year ago asking the same thing. He got all the same answers but went ahead with it. It turned out a failure, and he admitted it. He just had to try. Lesson learned. Maybe you are the one to do a smash up job ... and maybe not.

Well come to think about it, ur right the only thing that has been done to mine is tuned up and extra channels, but it was done by a Pro Tech not a butcher. LOL

Yes I have 2 of them. Why u dont think its a good idea?

Some radio's respond well to exotic mods and some don't. The Cobra 2000, President Madison, Uniden Grant xl, and Cobra 148 are all outstanding low powered cb sets. They are some of the best ever made. They are stable on SSB, have smooth clean audio, and outstanding receive.

That said all they need is a correct factory tune and alignment from a qualified tech. You can also add extra channels, unlock the clarifier, and maybe do a receive mod if you want. That's all they need.

No echo boards, hot finals, super duper swing mod this and clip that. Don't try to make it something it's not. Once you hack one all up the value is gone, and when you do have problems with it no good tech will want to even touch it. That's all we are saying.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.