• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rfx-75

triple1

Oct 30, 2015
ok i got this thing the other day off a friend of mine that has a cb shop and looking at the board it looks different to any rfx i have installed before he said it came off a magnum 257 i was wondering what i would have to do to it to make it like the ones you get off ebay if you want me to post pics just ask me
thanks in advance
Triple1

ok i got this thing the other day off a friend of mine that has a cb shop and looking at the board it looks different to any rfx i have installed before he said it came off a magnum 257 i was wondering what i would have to do to it to make it like the ones you get off ebay if you want me to post pics just ask me
thanks in advance
Triple1

This site has information for you.
http://cbtricks.com/

it says on the side of it on the sticker Magnum 257 hp tb on the board of it it says rfx 75

Then it's an RFX-75 off of a Magnum 257HP radio. Should be like all the other RFX-75 units unless Magnum made mid production changes.

They are a pain to wire up. The worst ones I've heard. You might want to send to a good tech for install of the rfx75. JMHO. They are very finicky and if you don't set your radio up correctly you'll see the smoke come out. If you don't have the proper equipment to install one, and I don't mean a solder gun and drill. They are only a $30 unit, so it's not that big a deal TBO. Like I said, unless you know how to work on radios well, this isn't one for the everyday Joe to be installing. I wouldn't even think about putting one on and I've one that isn't doing anything but collecting dust at the moment. And also Google is your friend!! Google install rfx 75 cobra 29 and a bunch of you tube videos will pop up showing you step be step how to install one. That would be the best way to do it IMO. Watch the vid first and check the feedback before you just start doing anything. Again. JMO, but the rfx 75 isn't worth ruining your perfectly good cobra 29 for. But hey to each his own. And just in case. Photos attached on how to do it. Good luck.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.png
    image.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.png
    image.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.png
    image.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 9
The RFX-75 I put on a cobra 29LX works great except that it is sensitive to the DC supply voltage affecting the carrier level. So if your power supply is a constant 13.8 volts when you set the dead key with the resistor change, you should be alright. If it varies, be mindful.

I know not to push the dead key past 10-12 watts AM and it has performed well for years now. Next time it's on the bench I should do the variable power mod to the radio.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I've seen them on the back of 959's that were from Sparky's back in the day and they would do almost 80-100 watts depending on the tune. If you keep tuned back a bit they do run a lot cooler. I always had a fan on my magnum 257 and it stayed ice cold. Good radios, but they lacked some quality in areas!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned