• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RG 6 quad shield

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
I know this topic has come up before. Just curious of actual experiences with 75 ohm coax. I never did the math, my understanding is it will about double your SWR. My question is will using half wave incriminates of coax help in controlling the increase in SWR from the ohm mismatch. Going to put up an extra antenna just to have it to monitor local and monitor my station. Have a lot of RG 6 extra. Just putting together the base setup I always wanted, but never took time to do. Thx all

Hello SS: I have used RG6 in a pinch of no other coax available. But.... the Aluminum shield will not solder to the PL-259 connectors. You will need to crimp on a F connector for RG6 and then use a adapter from F-Male to PL-259 male. I used this many times and seen around a increased VSWR of around 1 to 1.5 something like that. This simply does not impress me as a high power handling way of the coax and connectors. So low power fine, less than 100 / 200 watts I'd say / guess. LMR400 works better even the connectors can be soldered on. Good luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert..... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

I got the antenna up. Made a vertical dipole. Lower leg out at 45 degrees from verticle, using extra mobile antennas I have 12 feet up on treated 2x4. Very happy with results. SWR 1.7 on up to 2.5 on 23. Never adjusted for lower SWR. Not permanently mounted yet, so not ground or ground rod. Just wanted a monitor antenna for my station. It is only just 12 feet of RG 8X to base of of the 2X4. I wanted to experiment with the RG 6 I had on hand. I did not expect the results, just 25 feet RG 6 plus the 12 feet RG 8x so 37 feet total. SWR 1.1 on 40, 2.2 on 16, then just climbed. Between 30 and 40 I an assuming the coax was resonant. I had feed back in my computer speakers, which that was the first time ever with the radios on the bench with the computers. Going to get every thing in place permanently and get a ground rod in and hooked up. I am assuming assuming the 25 feet. I am assuming the 75 ohm coax just worked like a matching transfer. Thx all. Glad it had the time to get the antenna up.

Last edited:
Finally got the antenna finished. Very nice to be able to just put the headphones on an monitor myself. Changed over to all RG 8X. Got the antenna grounded with #8 copper ground wire to 5 feet of 1 inch galvanized steel pipe I had in the shed. Just trying to get everything up with what’s on hand. It was fun. I just want to thank everyone for his/her kindness and generosity of knowledge. It is very good feeling to build/fix something yourself. And very nice to be able to put up an antenna, put together from extra parts, extra antenna’s from past projects, and have everything work as planned. End result Channel 1 SWR 1.8, Channel 40 SWR 1.4. Very quiet, coax resonance gone after grounding. Never adjusted the Radio Shaxk whip, just left all the way down. Works great locally. Being able to monitor myself and adjust settings is so great. Found out what locals have been telling me that I sound ok, I think is too loud, backed the mic gain down. Lol

Finally got the antenna finished. Very nice to be able to just put the headphones on an monitor myself. Changed over to all RG 8X. Got the antenna grounded with #8 copper ground wire to 5 feet of 1 inch galvanized steel pipe I had in the shed. Just trying to get everything up with what’s on hand. It was fun. I just want to thank everyone for his/her kindness and generosity of knowledge. It is very good feeling to build/fix something yourself. And very nice to be able to put up an antenna, put together from extra parts, extra antenna’s from past projects, and have everything work as planned. End result Channel 1 SWR 1.8, Channel 40 SWR 1.4. Very quiet, coax resonance gone after grounding. Never adjusted the Radio Shaxk whip, just left all the way down. Works great locally. Being able to monitor myself and adjust settings is so great. Found out what locals have been telling me that I sound ok, I think is too loud, backed the mic gain down. Lol
Figuring stuff out and making it work, that's fun in my book too. I use a Cobra 148 with headphones and no antenna as a station monitor. When I adjust the audio level so I think it sounds good, the locals say that I can turn it up a little bit more. I don't know if it has anything to do with the sound of a close signal vs a distant one? Or maybe its just what they are used to hearing in their radio.
Chris

Reactions: Slowmover
F30D3193-E74D-473E-A7F3-DB873664DC7E.jpeg 9CF59B12-6818-4042-9800-8F90B73AC1C4.jpeg

Final got pics taken today. The smaller one is the one I just got up. It’s at 12 feet. The one on the metal mast is at 16 feet, about forty feet away from the small one. It’s braced to the corner of my shed. I need to get some Coax Seal. I wrapped the connector with electrical tape. I see it’s coming off already.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.