• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rig for mobile/base

KJ4RYS

Jan 19, 2010
Hello all. This is my first post to the forum. I have been reading the posts for a while now and have gained quite a bit of knowledge. And, as usual I have some questions.

I will be taking the Technician Exam next weekend, so naturally the first question after earning the ticket is what type of radio should I get. Like I said earlier, I have been reading similar posts here and elsewhere on the Net as well as radio reviews until I am sick:confused: I would like to have one radio to swap daily from the car to the house. Is that a bad idea? I figure I will need one radio, two antennas, and a power supply for the house to start with.

I "think" I will spend most of the time on the 2m and 440 as there are several active repeaters in my area (Huntsville, Al) however, I am also interested in some DXing on maybe the 10m or 6m band. I remember having a lot of fun DXing on the old cb years ago and I would like to try it again. Therefore, I will be looking for a radio that covers 10m, 6m, 2m, and 440.

I think I have narrowed my choices to the following:
Yaesu FT-857D
FT-897D
and the FT-8900R.
Which of these radios do you think would best meet my needs?
Would the 897D be effective at filling the needs as a mobile and base?
Or, would an HT be better (VX-8R )?

Any thoughts suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

A nice little Yaesu FT-7800 or 8800 would be my choice for a mobile/base. I do that too - moving it from mobile to base. Just not that often. The reviews on the 8900 points to problems with the quality of the antenna for that quad band radio. That is what kept me from going there.

A 10 meter rig might be an idea too, as your Tech license is only good for 10-6-2 meter and higher freqs. Are you going for your General license as well? If so; then the 857 is probably the best bet. I haven't owned one yet; but there are many glowing reviews that I've read on them too. I have little interest in having a mobile HF radio; as antennas prices are outrageous for a decent one. I have an Icom IC-718 for the base - pretty inexpensive but capable radio...

Welcome to the forum!

The only thing I would have to recommend is to not make your 'primary' radio an HT, just too limiting and you will not be satisfied with it after a little while.
The best recommendation I can think of is not a specific radio, but one that has most of the features you think you would like to have. That means taking a good look at all of them, sorting through 'bells-n-whistles' for the ones that would be nice to have (and that you will use), and a radio that you can stand to look at for a long time without eye strain, sort of. The absolute best way of doing all that is by getting your hands on them (good luck with that, right?).
It's a personal thing, but I've found that a "one box" radio is not the handiest thing I've ever owned. I'd rather use two, one for HF, one for VHF/UHF. Of course that depends a lot on what you do with each one, some things just can't be 'combined' conveniently. (Then again, you can do almost anything if you throw enough money at it.)
And naturally, being a Kenwood fan, I think all of your choices so far have been sort of 'second rate' (sorry, just couldn't resist :)).
Good luck.
- 'Doc

I support the opinion that your first radio should not be a handheld... Let me also state that your first radio should not be a QRP (Low Power) radio. If you're getting an HF rig, look for a 100 watt radio... For VHF or UHF (2 Meter & Above) look for a good mobile in the 45 watt range or higher.

Now don't get me wrong.. I've got a 30 meter QRP transmitter that I built a year or two after I first got my license in 1992. That little radio has served me well, and I've kept it even after trading/selling numerous higher power radios. But if I had started out with ONLY a QRP radio I think I would have been disappointed with the lack of contacts.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Best point I can hope to make is that you should find a radio that YOU like.. If you're like the rest of us hams you'll end up amassing quite a collection of radio equipment.

From the choices that you have posted,I would say go with a 857 Yeasu,that is one of those ..all in one rigs...covers all bands,all modes,and as you expand your ham ticket you will already have a radio that will do most anything you will ever need it to do

But as said above...I have seen to many cases where getting a ham ticket also makes the person a packrat of radios,it wont be to long and you will have more radios than you know what to do with :blink: :tongue:

But anyway..welcome to the forum :D

Hey 2manygagets..

Welcome to the forum..

Many good choices out there..
I too will say do NOT make your primary an HT..

I also know it will not be long before you have quite a number of radios to use ( sort of a ham radio bug i suppose)..

Regarding the prospects you have narrowed it down to..
Though i have not used any of those radios ( i have mostly Icom gear)..

Once you upgrade to general or higher ticket (unless you do so along with taking and passing your tech exam) it would serve you well to have a good HF radio..

as mentioned before..the IC-718 is a great radio ( fairly cheep as well ) although i started with the 706MKIIG ( a hard radio to beat for a entry level do all and go all radio....since then i have added quite a few radios and am waiting to see the new 9100 )

Anyways...welcome to the forum..
Good luck on taking the test..

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I can rule out a HT for now. I have thought about the 706MKIIG so I will look at it a little closer. I am a pack rat by nature, so I'm sure it won't be long untill I have more radios than I know what to do with. I was hoping to help eliminate that by starting out with a "one box" radio. Good luck with that, right :D

Thanks for the welcomes to the forum and the advice.

Mark

Hey Mark,

In the past I've always used Yaesu's, but as base only, when I wanted a truly mobile radio that I could also use at home I went for the 706MKIIG, and I wasn't disappointed. Great radio and I couldn't recommend it enough. It takes about 2-3 minutes for me to remove it from the car and get it set back up in the house, the separation kit makes it so easy to fit it into the car, although this costs a few $$$ extra, it's well worth it. Never had anything but fantastic audio reports just with the standard mic. If you want one just make sure you get the MKIIG, not the MKI or MKII, as the earlier models do have some problems, especially on VHF.

I did consider the 857 and 897, main thing that put me off those radio's is that they look like they have been severely beaten with an ugly stick, they do work well on the air, but everyone I know who has one has told me the menu system on those radio's are a nightmare to use, maybe not the best choice of radio for a beginner. Whichever radio you choose, have fun and enjoy the hobby !

The 706 mark2G does all of the things that you need and more. It's mostly menu driven but it's easy to navigate. I have the first 2 versions and have used both of them to talk all over the world. With the G you get 440 and a serious upgrade in power on 2 meter. Very durable also, My mobile is in the truck all winter and the only problem i've ever had was a mic plug that went bad. Have fun, it's a great hobby.
mike

I think I have narrowed my choices to the following:
Yaesu FT-857D
FT-897D
and the FT-8900R.
Which of these radios do you think would best meet my needs?
Would the 897D be effective at filling the needs as a mobile and base?
Or, would an HT be better (VX-8R )?

Given your requirements and the choices you've narrowed it down to, I would choose the Yaesu FT-857d. The Icom 706mkiig or Icom IC-7000 wasn't on that list, but I would give them strong consideration. The Yaesu 897D is too big for a mobile radio, IMO. I've had both the 857d, 897d, as well as the Icom 706mkiig. HT's can be a whole lot of fun, but I wouldn't make one my only radio.

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone.

I have looked at the ICOM's and I like the 706MkIIG but I don't care much for the ICOM mobiles (no offense ICOM folks). I figured that I'll eventually end up with a mobile and a mobile/base in the future and it would probably be better to keep with the same brands for reasons such as programming software, menu systems etc. I really like the look and capabilities of Yaesu's FT897D and FT8900R so I just figured I would focus on them. Of course I may be selling myself short if I don't try other brands to see what they offer.

I was really hoping the FT897 would fit all of my needs for a mobile/base, at least for a few years. 'course radios are just like any other piece of electronic equipment- there is no one perfect soulution- compromises have to be made. I was afraid the 897 would be a little difficult to swap between the car and house on a regular basis.

Simon004- sounds like you have had good results with the 706MkIIG.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

P.s. I'm looking forwarding to taking the Technician exam on Saturday.

Mark

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.