• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RJ45 (MODULAR) MICROPHONE ENDS AND CRIMPING TOOL SUGGESTIONS

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I have a few ends that need repairing and after seeing what they want for replacement cords or cables Ide think I could repair them at home here but know that not any tool and plug ends will work so Im in need of suggestions to steer me in the right direction for purchasing a kit oe tools and ends needed.

I dont know ehy the hell any of these manufactures went with these stupid plastic flimsy connectors with some rigs and they didnt just stay with the standard round 8 pin connectors. :unsure::censored:

Reactions: 1 person

I know the truth of the matter TonyV225, you actually just love those things! You are so 'taken' with them, can't get enough of them and want to make your own! Just like me and millions of other people, admit it! Right? Yeah... I hate them @#$ things.
Why use them? They are cheap, common, and smaller than an 8-pin screw on connector. They can be applied by machine (automated process). They are so simple to use that a 'cave-man' can do it. Now if they could standardize the direction that @#$ locking pin goes, up/down/sideways, everything would have one.
I would dearly love to talk to the one who decided to use them!
Applying one isn't that difficult, just requires the right tools. Sit down before looking at prices though...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Go to Radio Shack and get their tool for installing ends on CAT-5 cables. That is the same thing and it works well for the price.You can buy better but for all the time you will use it the R/S tool is not bad.

I was told that the connector ends have to be looked at because their is 2 types one for flat cable and one for round cable and I need the round style.

If you have a Home Depot near you, you can find two different crimping tools at reasonable prices there. I got the one for $19 and a couple of packages of RJ-11
and RH-45 connectors and a couple of other goodies for a bit less than $40 total.
My Kenwood TS-480SAT has a 6-pin RJ11 connector on it and it got to where it
would not make good contact. I went thru 5 of the 25 connectors in one package
before I got one that worked properly!! (silly people at Kenwood have the braided shield going to
one of the pins) Still, it was cheaper than buying another 13' cable from AES or some
place like that!! And I am getting some more cable and making up some spares for next time!!!
Pay close attention to what the original connector's wire color order is and you should be fine.
trucker

I picked up the R/S crimp tool for 8 pin CAT-5 connectors and another that crimps 4 pin and 6 pin modular phone plugs. I used them to make up extensions for my Yaesu FT-857 separation kit which used round and flat cables. It worked fine for both. YMMV.

C.K.??? Not to be a pain in your ass but could you help me find the model Radio Shack Crimper and propper ends so I can just go in and tell them ecactly what I want?? I would appreciate it because Radio Shack stores are not what they used to be where enployees new what you wantd and what they were doing and were not just profesinals with just Cellphones!! :censored::headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.