• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Amplifier

My friend was using a deep-cycle battery to run his radio and amp, and that idea got old very fast. As you are aware, it is not a good idea to have and use a battery inside the house.
Yes you are right it is just a temporary solution to get on the air but the battery is getting old as I'm suppose to be out fishing with it. It's a constant juggle between have to do and want to do. LOL

Reactions: Rwb and Holydvr
I too just got myself a KL203P.. I have also a KL60. Most folks I have watched or read about with the 203 say they put no more that 2w deadkey in, and get about ~40W(ish) deadkey with the amp on.

In my case, on my Cobra 29 WX NW ST (from the 90s) the deadkey is 1.5w in and about 55-60W out deadkey out. Seems high for only driving on 1.5w no? I don't think I can turn the 29 down anymore without a variable power mod. But is ~55-60W deadkey a lot in my setup? I did salvage a case fan from an old computer case. Even has cool blue LEDs.... thx

Reactions: Rwb
I have seen the countless iterations of "no more than 1-1/2 DK", and some "Stock 12W SSB is fine - no more than 15 PEP" etc.. but is there a minimum power needed to open the relays, especially for SSB? Say modulation from the radio needs to be at least 1W or something? I find sometimes the 980ssb used with the KL203 can unwantedly close the SSB relay sometimes (even when SSB is switched on) if the power is too low (assuming)? Or is this just another relay problem :unsure:

• Wow
Around 70-80 pep. I wanted to keep everything lower and see if I could get some good time out of it. I have been using it everyday nearly for around 1.5 years or more with no issues after I rebuilt it.

Reactions: Rwb and tchr01
Around 70-80 pep. I wanted to keep everything lower and see if I could get some good time out of it. I have been using it everyday nearly for around 1.5 years or more with no issues after I rebuilt it.
I've been trying to turn down my 980ssb using the ALC control (am already set to 1w/4wpep) but it seems to peak when I get loud to 12pep but averages 5-7w. Are you running any mic gain?

I've been trying to turn down my 980ssb using the ALC control (am already set to 1w/4wpep) but it seems to peak when I get loud to 12pep but averages 5-7w. Are you running any mic gain?
Mine is on a PC-122. I have turned down the ALC to where its maximum peaks were around 8w. I am not really familiar with the 980 myself. I run a Ranger SRA-198 mic these days with good reports on both AM and SSB.

Mine is on a PC-122. I have turned down the ALC to where its maximum peaks were around 8w. I am not really familiar with the 980 myself. I run a Ranger SRA-198 mic these days with good reports on both AM and SSB.
Nice radio. About 20 years ago I had a KL60 mounted to the top of a Uniden 122xl. The radio did like 1.5 dead key on AM and would swing 8-10 ish. This would key the KL60 at 14-15 and swing right at 50. SSB output was about 55 watts. Back then there were not as many higher powered radio's out there so this was a great combo.

Reactions: Rwb and Holydvr
on am from my lincoln im sending about 4 watts in n 90 out.on ssb im sending 10 in and about 125 out .any lower it wont keep the relays locked down. last nite i shot skip on ssb n didnt turn my fan on i put on top of the rm. it was just warm on top when i shut down last nite. i think very low swr helps life of amp as mush as anything

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?