• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Amplifier

So found out my culprit I think. This 980SSB is interesting the more and more you poke at it. The microphone I was using seemed to be not acting nice with the ALC and with lower power on the radio as a whole. I think the noise cancelling effects of the Ranger SRA-198 were dipping the modulation down far enough to give false readings to the ALC and the radio was just reducing power to stay in "Optimal Levels" for clarity.

SO! Stock mic works fine and consistent, and I guess the SRA-198 is just too aggressive on NC for the 980... which means the SRA goes in the car with my President Andy :)

The KL-203 has been fantastic so far though with the 980 and very consistent in boosting whatever I give it.
The 980 mic is fairly decent for a stock mic. If you don't need the noise cancelling feature, you can increase the clarity and audio quite easily. Open up the mic and remove the black rubber disc that sits in front of the mic element. I was quite surprised when I did it to mine.

An easy way to hear your transmit audio for testing microphones, is to listen to yourself with a second radio with no antenna and headphones. I audio check my station when I power up to make sure nothing got bumped or has developed a problem.

I know this topic has come up before, but was wondering if the lower power turn for the 980 has an effect on its SWR internal meter reading? Even if diagnostics show as "pass". Readings look like this for internal meter inside the radio:
---
980SSB <--> SWR/PEP Meter <--> Antenna : SWR is 1:1 across the band
980SSB <--> KL203 (off but inline) <--> SWR/PEP <--> Antenna: SWR 2.3
980SSB <--> KL203 (on) <-- SWR/PEP <--> Antenna : SWR 2.5
---
That external pep meter I have inline says 1.4 with the amp off and 1.5 with it on.

What did I miss? Im assuming trust the external meter (tried another meter too to make sure the external meter is ok)? Im also assuming the 980 has some base power it needs to get the swr meter to work.. but dont know if others have thoughts here on this specific combo.

-matt

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?