• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy KL 703 Tech Special - Hopefully Minor Problem

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
My fault - Left station hooked up on a day it wasn't even supposed to rain. This one cloud comes by with some lightning in it and I must have taken a little finger strike to the antenna. Antenna, power supply and mobile radio - all no damage .... but the 703 was affected. I am just tired of spending money on an 11 meter station to talk to the 2 or 3 locals that are still left around. I can talk barefoot on my medium power mobile and I have a full size HF rig. Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 11.13.35 AM.png
Bought this 500Watt, 8 Mosfet 703 in early March. It still mostly works just has low output now. Keys 20W with p.e.p to a bit over 100 so something inside got popped. I stopped using it after an initial test to not make anything worse. Fans, preamp ... all works. Can see nothing obviously burned inside. I'm not a tech and just don't want to send it off anywhere to get fixed .... spending more money. Hopefully there is only 1 minor part popped somewhere. Might be a easy breezy fix for a competent tech. There are techs in my area that can work on it - but like I said I'm just tired of buying and more spending. Have factory box and owner's manual. Cost $480 plus tax in March. Make a reasonable offer. Paypal fine. Has 3 power settings and accepts up to 30 watt input all modes. Rated 25~30mhz

My fault - Left station hooked up on a day it wasn't even supposed to rain. This one cloud comes by with some lightning in it and I must have taken a little finger strike to the antenna. Antenna, power supply and mobile radio - all no damage .... but the 703 was affected. I am just tired of spending money on an 11 meter station to talk to the 2 or 3 locals that are still left around. I can talk barefoot on my medium power mobile and I have a full size HF rig. View attachment 63783
Bought this 500Watt, 8 Mosfet 703 in early March. It still mostly works just has low output now. Keys 20W with p.e.p to a bit over 100 so something inside got popped. I stopped using it after an initial test to not make anything worse. Fans, preamp ... all works. Can see nothing obviously burned inside. I'm not a tech and just don't want to send it off anywhere to get fixed .... spending more money. Hopefully there is only 1 minor part popped somewhere. Might be a easy breezy fix for a competent tech. There are techs in my area that can work on it - but like I said I'm just tired of buying and more spending. Have factory box and owner's manual. Cost $480 plus tax in March. Make a reasonable offer. Paypal fine. Has 3 power settings and accepts up to 30 watt input all modes. Rated 25~30mhz
I would do $50 plus shipping, lighting is the devil, even if one component bad many more soon to follow.

Hi Crambone. That's a bit too low to accept. I'm offering it in several different places and to the locals.
The problem is, you can buy a new one, that works, for 400ish bucks. The buyer is taking all the risk here, if he pays 100 dollars (1/4 the price) and the board is fried, he's out 100 dollars plus has to dispose of. Selling equipment with unknown damage is difficult because it's worth more to you than it is to the person taking all the risk. Not saying to take the first offer you get but don't expect to get the same money as a working used one will bring.

The problem is, you can buy a new one, that works, for 400ish bucks. The buyer is taking all the risk here, if he pays 100 dollars (1/4 the price) and the board is fried, he's out 100 dollars plus has to dispose of. Selling equipment with unknown damage is difficult because it's worth more to you than it is to the person taking all the risk. Not saying to take the first offer you get but don't expect to get the same money as a working used one will bring.
Well 144 inBama .... you piss me off so I'm not going to let this go. You so smart, allow me to offer you the additional chance to brag on yourself. On the scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Very Helpful and 1 being Fuck Off, how useful do you really believe your comments are to me?
You can get one of these for "400ish" ? Where? Go fetch a link we'll wait. With tax these are over $500. With tax I paid $526.
Myself nor any other reasonable person would ever expect to get the same money for a broken unit than one could expect to receive for a used working unit.
Sure, the Technician or speculator is taking a risk, but the board is not fried. As stated the the unit still transmits at reduced output, and certainly turns on, fans and preamp work so it's obvious it's not destroyed. If it were destroyed .... me not being a penny-grubbing jackwagon ... I would have just hunked it in the trash.
You know 144 - I have a much better place for you friend, and that's over on QRZ. Why over there, they just love Trolls and every single thread in their forums is chock full of Trolls and you stand a fine chance of winning their Troll Of The Month Award. Happy Zeddingtanks_fer_nuthin.jpg

Hey WW,I believe if you click the "400ish" in the message it shows you where to buy one for $399.95 which sounds alot like 400 to me. Dude we've all been there.Lighten up

Well 144 inBama .... you piss me off so I'm not going to let this go. You so smart, allow me to offer you the additional chance to brag on yourself. On the scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Very Helpful and 1 being Fuck Off, how useful do you really believe your comments are to me?
You can get one of these for "400ish" ? Where? Go fetch a link we'll wait. With tax these are over $500. With tax I paid $526.
Myself nor any other reasonable person would ever expect to get the same money for a broken unit than one could expect to receive for a used working unit.
Sure, the Technician or speculator is taking a risk, but the board is not fried. As stated the the unit still transmits at reduced output, and certainly turns on, fans and preamp work so it's obvious it's not destroyed. If it were destroyed .... me not being a penny-grubbing jackwagon ... I would have just hunked it in the trash.
You know 144 - I have a much better place for you friend, and that's over on QRZ. Why over there, they just love Trolls and every single thread in their forums is chock full of Trolls and you stand a fine chance of winning their Troll Of The Month Award. Happy ZeddingView attachment 63874
Maybe try some Decaf in the morning.................

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated