• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RMS TO PEP

"RMS Power describes the metrics used in the calculations."

no, RMS current and voltage describes the metrics or parameters used in the calculations. the term RMS Power is meaningless. it's Average Power derived by the mathematical solution of the RMS values of both current and voltage. the two terms are not interchangeable and are the cause of continual confusion.

furthermore, we don't modulate transmitters using periodical, symmetrically shaped signal sources and as such the human voice fits neither of those definitions when referenced to am and ssb transmitters.

the relationships are demonstrated clearly by the chart at the url i posted previously.

freecell said:
the relationships are demonstrated clearly by the chart at the url i posted previously.

Technically there is no such thing as taking the RMS value of power - I agree.

However, the prefix of RMS has been traditionally used to designate the metrics used in the calculation of power. So True Power, or Average Power, calculations are only correct when RMS values are used. If Average values, or Peak Values, for V or I are used then the resulting Power will be incorrect, hence the RMS prefix. Power is calculated using measuring devices and it is important to use the correct measurement type - metering circuits can be average, rms, and true rms, etc...

It doesn't seem like you guys are really in disagreement, except for terminology. Isn't this just a case of Freecell saying he doesn't condone the term RMS power and Ken saying that while it is not a technically correct term, it is the best descriptor available to get the point across with fewer words. Kind of like when people use the term "electricity" instead of "electrical energy." It is just easier and generally understood. Maybe we should come up with a different term that we can agree on. Any Suggestions?

thetnhillbilly said:
It doesn't seem like you guys are really in disagreement, except for terminology. Isn't this just a case of Freecell saying he doesn't condone the term RMS power and Ken saying that while it is not a technically correct term, it is the best descriptor available to get the point across with fewer words. Kind of like when people use the term "electricity" instead of "electrical energy." It is just easier and generally understood. Maybe we should come up with a different term that we can agree on. Any Suggestions?

Yep...

:)

ken white said:
thetnhillbilly said:

Yep...

:)[Exactly right!!
Its physics boys, you can't change it. Somebody smarter than us figured it out a while ago. After reading this entire post and finding it entertaining, I thought I'd share this cross reference/ calc. method derived for our convenience.

RMS=PEP

Where:
R = Restless endangerment factor
M= Mean temperature coefficient of last weeks tator salad
S= Speed of Dirt**

**there are times where the saddle point measurement technique of the dew point on Saturday 7.62AM can be substituted as deemed appropriate

/quote]

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.