• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Robyn 520 D

Nov 28, 2020
Muncie, Indiana
I have a Robyn 520 D . It showed a small carrier of around 3 on the S meter on the dead key . The radio worked great and talked great . Decided to recap it and put the modulation upgrade in it . Now the radio works great but now I am showing a carrier of about 9 on the S meter. Is this possible in the alignment? New to repair HELP Thanks Dale

Sounds a little strong, however what does wattmeter show PEP modulation?
Been LONG time since I worked on one of those Panasonic Chassis but seem to remember about 5-7 watts DK and about 12-15 w PEP modulation provided good tube life. I never did that Plate Modulation mod unless customer insisted. Yes, sounded good if quality mic and tuned correctly, I did learn that it was harder on tubes...so trade off IMHO.
GL Enjoy ... Those were great chassis'
All the Best
Gary

Sounds a little strong, however what does wattmeter show PEP modulation?
Been LONG time since I worked on one of those Panasonic Chassis but seem to remember about 5-7 watts DK and about 12-15 w PEP modulation provided good tube life. I never did that Plate Modulation mod unless customer insisted. Yes, sounded good if quality mic and tuned correctly, I did learn that it was harder on tubes...so trade off IMHO.
GL Enjoy ... Those were great chassis'
All the Best
Gary
Sorry this is a solid state radio It should do 4 watts AM 12 watts PEP SSB

DAMN getting old!!!! Memory is Fubar...Now remember that one! Had one...
Lots of Info on forum about those:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's the Chassis I remembered...DAMN! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thank you very much for the reply BJ On dummy load and external I am showing 13 watts dead key
That has the Uniden 858 board in it. A 13 watt carrier is way too high if that is an accurate reading. It really needs a full alignment but there are 2 main points to address here. Adjust VR-8 for no more than a 4 watt carrier (on AM and no modulation) as read on an accurate external meter with a dummy load. Adjust VR-12 to adjust the Robyn meter to match the reading of the carrier you set. That should address your question specifically.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.