• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ROGER BEEP BASICS

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
The diagram shown below is the Uniden roger beep circuit used on the Cobra 148GTL-Dx, Superstar 360FM, President Grant-Dx and many other export clones (especially Galaxy).

001ab.jpg

TR33 is the roger beep oscillator and operates at 1200-2000Hz (depending upon component values). Whan the unit is keyed up, the oscillator starts, but its output is shorted to ground thru diode D92. When the key is released, oscillator output is enabled, and the C270/R206 combo holds the unit in transmit for a few milliseconds and the beep is broadcast.
Change the values of C154 and C156 to vary the beep frequency. Change the value of C270 to shorten or lengthen the beep time. To transmit a continuous tone, install switch S2 as shown. Opening S2 prevents the oscillator output from being shorted out, and a continuous tone is transmitted whenever the key is down. This is handy when aligning the unit's transmit section. Also helpful when tuning up tube amps, matchers, or for just plain agitating.

Last edited:

Don't forget to install a switch on the roger beep line. I prefer if people use this one.

offoffswitch.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
must be one of those wack pack radios, I have a local that use to have one too and we did call it the fart beep radio, what a pain in the butt, it didn't have a switch either, finally I gave him a small power supply and a sideband radio to use so he would quit ticking off the old guys on the channel. He finally bought a 2995DX and never uses the roger beep

You think roger beeps are irritating....we got some old timers with Brownings.....I like the Browning ping....but you get 3 of them going in a qso....it gets old fast.

Oh no. A Browning ping is a special sound that no one is allowed to find irritating or complain about.
I like it when you have got a couple of old Browning radios squealing like pigs and someone with a simple roger beep tries to join in the conversation.
That is funny to listen in on when the poor slob with the beep catches hell for it. :laugh:

Oh no. A Browning ping is a special sound that no one is allowed to find irritating or complain about.
I like it when you have got a couple of old Browning radios squealing like pigs and someone with a simple roger beep tries to join in the conversation.
That is funny to listen in on when the poor slob with the beep catches hell for it. :laugh:

That happened just this morning.....ch 28 morning crew.....poor guy got his feelers hurt and said "I'm outta here" :D

the best feature of any roger beep, is that it can be disabled-permanantly. Most of the ids I hear with beeps, the beep is louder than the voice. How does that make sense?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.