• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rolling the dice on wacky little widgets. Again.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Once again, I have run out of or run low on some of the tiny circuit boards we sell. The only economical way to buy them is combined on one larger circuit board, to cut them apart later.

So here is this year's restock.

rRF8sH.jpg

Some of them will look familiar from our fleabay listings, others won't. I'll only bore you with one of them for now.

This idea served to cure the loose mike-socket problem we kept seeing caused by 3-inch long rigid mike-socket adapters. The owners of base radios with a 6-pin mike socket would prefer to use a 4-pin mike that can be interchanged with other radios. The 3-inch long rigid adapters you can buy have a hidden drawback.

Leverage.

Just a gentle pull on the mike cord gets "leveraged" into enough force to loosen the nut holding the mike socket to its bracket. Fixing this involves removing the front panel tightening the loose stuff then putting it (and all the knobs) back. This gets repetitive after the third or fourth time it happens.

So we started copying the factory filtering/bypassing setup onto the back of a 4-pin mike socket. All very well and good, but a bit labor intensive.

The drawback is no more up/down buttons on the mike. The advantage is that the mike socket stops coming loose from the radio.

So the trick got moved to a printed circuit board. Saves labor, pure and simple. Made a dozen and a half of them, and they lasted almost a year. Made another batch that size and they lasted six months. Time to go for a larger quantity. Our circuit-board vendor has a discount at fifty units, so that's what we bought. With four of this pattern on one corner, we'll see how long it takes to actually built two hundred of them, let alone sell them all. It starts with soldering a chassis-ground wire to the mike socket. A real factory would use a fat ring lug under the socket, but this is cheaper.

5KSMes.jpg

Takes three RF chokes and three disc capacitors, since only three pins are connected. The RCI-made radios don't require a receive function on the mike.

m3sBXx.jpg

And if you want to solder some custom feature to pin 4 you can do that, of course.

And this is the biggest selling point for this toy. No soldering required. The pins you see will match up with the two-pin audio plug and the one-pin transmit plug just as they unplugged from the factory mike socket's pc board.

e729.jpg

Plug and pray, no soldering iron needed.

Now it's time to see how many of the parts it uses are here on hand. Probably don't have enough to build all 200 of them. Just the same, I'd like to have enough stock to put them on fleabay.

Time will tell.

Update: As it happens my inventory skills are not all that. Found we had put back a dozen and a half of these on the shelf, to take care of repair customers.

Now that I have the stuff to make more of them, that batch is now listed on fleabay. Price is unreasonably high, but that's ebay-nomics. The cheaper the item, the bigger the price bump from postage and fees.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1154778462...d=link&campid=5336136228&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Got two views and one watcher. Woo-hoo!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.