• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Round two: 70-80's Radio. Which ones were the cream of the crop?

In my eyes it doesn't get much more 70's then the Kraco De Luxe CB's.
View attachment 42081

Those underdash midlands where kinda cool too.
View attachment 42080

But I think the problem with these cool old 23 channel sets is everyone is going to have off or failed crystals :cry:
I like those two choices. Both the Kraco Delux and the under dash Midland 13-830, and the 77-830 are great AM Cybernet 02A Pll radios. I have several refurbished examples. Only 2 crystals, about the same amount as many other PLL radios today, plus the Cybernet’s are easily expandable. Crystal availability is not a problem with these particular models.

I like those two choices. Both the Kraco Delux and the under dash Midland 13-830, and the 77-830 are great AM Cybernet 02A Pll radios. I have several refurbished examples. Only 2 crystals, about the same amount as many other PLL radios today, plus the Cybernet’s are easily expandable. Crystal availability is not a problem with these particular models.
Wow I learn something new everyday here. Thanks! (y)
I guess every 23 channel rig I ever messed with was to early to have PLL's.

All of the early 858 radio's especialy SSB were fantastic bang for the buck.

Take the Cobra 138XR if you leave the compression circuit alone and just do an alingment they are sweet radio's. Dynascan left a lot more money in that radio than it did the radio's that came after it.

If you like Hifi audio the old all tube CB radio's had fantastic band width which was wasteful but really had great audio with just a little help. Clearly you have to have a reciever that can take advantage of that to appreciate it. A lot of them even the ones people do not lust after can be made to sound fantastic with out a lot of work.

I know guys that ran both tubed base radio's in their trucks and modern 1970-1990 base station radio's in their truck. There was a guy named "Hill Billy" in Hinesville Ga. in the 1990's that ran a Cobra 2000 base in his truck for a while along with a TS-350HD. Funny what you remember from your youth.

Back in the day I had a Courier Spartan 40 PLL SSB that talked really well with the stock microphone. Had all 40 on a rotary dial which you don't see very often.

I loved the big mike with the big red button on it. I miss that radio.

Here's a video of a nice looking one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.