• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Royce 1-680

Simbalage22

Jul 8, 2010
Detroit MI
I got a Royce 1-680 (40 channel) mobile radio today from an uncle. Can they be modded? anyone have any insite? are they better then the newer ones (like the uniden 510XL) any info on this would be great

the only thing i could find on this radio was to cut D301 for more modulation.

not sure if thats tried and true info or not, and not sure if it will make the radio a bit louder or make it sound like complete crap.

i guess what im saying is, if you try it, make sure you can easily put it back the way it was.

royce radios are not known for being easily moddable.
when you open it up you will notice that they had a very proprietary way of building their radios.
there are several small vertical PC boards plugged into a main board kind of like computers are done today.
makes them very cumbersome to work on to say the least.

if it works, put a good mic on it and use it.
if not, you have more parts!
LC

OFFICIAL MOD FOR THIS ROYCE

Well time to contribute back to the forum...

My uncle sent me 28 editions of this cb repair manual he purchased long ago dating back to the 80's.. I found this royce in there and figured I would share.. If anyone knows how to do the channel mod they list plz feel free to comment... Also I will be updating this to show where T402 is located, as my wife and her tricks found it with a dental mirror.. The board is verticle making it damn near impossible, I bent a screwdriver, as well as cut this plastic on small to fit in there to turn the pot.. She is doing 4w Swinging to 15 @ 12v :)

Official Royce 1-680
Adjust T402 for maxium RF output
Cut D301 for 100% modulation
Take pins 6 and 5 of PLL1 high (7.2v) for more frequencies..

The last line is in question as I am willing to try this as my cobra already had this done, but I dont have a freq counter to tell what freq they are

UPDATED: Added Images of locations of T402 & D301.. T402 cannot be seen without use of a reflective mirror, so I wanted to help anyone with this radio finding that baby :) Radio check verify mod is good with D301 clipped.. but clip it like I did incase in the future you want to put it back.. Toe nail clippers work quite well

Attachments

• Royce 001.JPG
    Royce 001.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Royce 002.JPG
    Royce 002.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Royce 003.jpg
    Royce 003.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Dont do the frequeny mod as I have tried it and it does not work.. I am working on another thread to figure out how to get extra channels and will update this topic..... The power and modulation as posted is tried and true and works quite well (Clean)

Dont do the frequeny mod as I have tried it and it does not work.. I am working on another thread to figure out how to get extra channels and will update this topic..... The power and modulation as posted is tried and true and works quite well (Clean)
how many times do i turn the t402 and what direction?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.