• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Same mag mount... different question....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Okay here is the whole story. About 5 years ago there was a garage sale at the corner house on my street. Browsing through... I come up with a Wilson 1000 magmount.

Cable looked good, not pinched
Didn't see any signs that the coil had any damage/leakage anything like that...

I asked him "how much?"
He answed "ten dollars".

I took it. Over the years my son used it for a couple of years... said he never could get it to tune up right with an SWR meter.

So it's been sitting in the garage.

A friend of his (used to run a CB repair shop out of his home) passed away suddenly of a massive cardiac arrest. The guys wife.... GAVE my son a box or two full of stuff the guy had....and among a number of radios and meters... was an MFJ 259 antenna analyzer. He let me borrow it a few weeks ago and I just now thought about that Wilson. Slapped it up on the truck...and the thing resonated at 28.805 MHz. I got suspicious... but I "played the game". THat stinger had to come out a bit to resonate in the CB range. So I started sliding.. testing...sliding...testing....I finally got it out to where it resonated at 28.3 MHz or so. When I tried to slide it out further... the stinger fell out in my hands. I looked close at the end.... and it had the look of having been cut off with bolt cutters.

Anybody thing this thing what whacked down for 10M ???? * grin *

I'm sure that is the problem. Already looking for a new stinger....

Oh.... the things you run into.... but for the price...I can't squawk too much....

Ok.... here was the secret. I've seen videos of these MFJ analyzers used before and nobody seemed to have this problem.

This one of my son's...... I can't hold it in my hand. If I do...... SWR goes wild.

At one point I was holding it resonating up in the upper end of the CB range... SWR around 2.5:1

I laid it down in my seat to get out and make an adjustment. When I laid it down I looked back... the SWR had dropped to about 1.7:1. I picked it up to look at it..and it went back up. I held it at the bottom with my fingers.... and laid my big ol' palm up the back of the unit... and it went WAY up.... removed my hand.... it went down below 2:1. I laid it back in the seat....it went down to 1.7:1.

Noticing this..... I left it on the seat....and managed to set it up for just a hair below 1.4:1 across the entire CB band.

You live and you learn.

Ok.... here was the secret. I've seen videos of these MFJ analyzers used before and nobody seemed to have this problem.

This one of my son's...... I can't hold it in my hand. If I do...... SWR goes wild.

At one point I was holding it resonating up in the upper end of the CB range... SWR around 2.5:1

I laid it down in my seat to get out and make an adjustment. When I laid it down I looked back... the SWR had dropped to about 1.7:1. I picked it up to look at it..and it went back up. I held it at the bottom with my fingers.... and laid my big ol' palm up the back of the unit... and it went WAY up.... removed my hand.... it went down below 2:1. I laid it back in the seat....it went down to 1.7:1.

Noticing this..... I left it on the seat....and managed to set it up for just a hair below 1.4:1 across the entire CB band.

You live and you learn.
That would make me think the connector might have a problem.

A connected "strange thing" here.... this is what sent me back out to try it again...

My first test made it look like the rod was too short.
I went and looked up ads for a new one.... they ALL show a length of 62".

I measured MINE...... 64" !!!!!?????????

Do i have a mutant?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.