• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Satellite Operation on UHF/VHF

Ethanflux

May 12, 2011
I am looking into operating the satellites with my Yaesu VX-8DR. I have purchased a Elk Satellite antenna and waiting for that to come in. So my question is.

What is the best program to use to try satellites?

What program is best is just a matter of opinion, I prefer Orbitron. Then there is Nova, SatPC32, opensat.net? and others. Check amsat.org for FAQ's or beginners guides, and there is Clint Bradford's(K6LCS) site, he has a 4 page pdf newbie guide to FM sats.

A few pointers, AO-51 isn't available every pass now(in case you haven't read my other thread), AO-27 is only working on ascending passes at about the time it crosses 28-30 degrees North latitude. The only thing heard from HO-68 since January this year has been a CW beacon, and North American hams get use of SO-67 for usually the first week of each month. And SO-50 can be a pain to track because it doesn't transmit all the time, more like a terrestrial repeater.

Depending on your surroundings, the Elk antenna can be very sensitive to polarization especially at AOS and LOS obviously when the sat is furthest away

Good luck and hope to hear you on the birds

It is my understanding that "satscape" will not work if you have windows7, this is my operating system and I would appreciate anyone telling me how to get satscape that will work with windows 7
Walter KD4OMR

According to the Satscape download site:

Satscape is fully compatible with:

• Windows 7
Satscape is also compatible with ▲

• Windows 95
  • Windows 98
  • Windows 98 SE
  • Windows ME
  • Windows 2000
  • Windows NT
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8
Looks like it does work with Windows 7. Are you sure you have the latest version? Scott is pretty good at keeping Satscape updated.

Reactions: 1 person
I cannot get it to download. Am I doing something wrong? What do I specifically need to do? Where do I specifically need to go to get it to down load?
Walter KD4OMR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.