• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sbe console II SSB

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
I have brought out my late father in laws SBE Console II radio. It has a Glen 326-1 Digital VFO hooked up to it. I have cleaned the pots and switches for the most part. I brought it up with a dim bulb and it appears to be working. I had it on channel 27.385 on the VFO and it did receive, although I couldn't quite get it clarified perfectly. Of course I did not fire it up for more than a few minutes, and I did not test to output as I don't have the original mic, at least I haven't found it yet. If you look at the pictures it is a clean radio except for some dust on the outside. I haven't touched it other than to clean the pots.
With the VFO off, I can hear chatter on AM 19, but I'm sure it will need to be gone through, caps and alignment etc.

I don't have the interest and would like to see if there's any interest here on WWDX. I would like to see it go to a good home where it will get restored and used. I just have too much stuff.
I've seen em on the bay for anywhere from 80 to 250 without the Glen VFO.
I would be open to offers and shipping would most likely be kinda high as it's a pretty heavy radio. Of course I would try and find the cheapest way to send other USPS ground for the obvious reasons. I haven't boxed it up or weighed it as I may try and list it locally. Overall it is great condition I would say fot the age. If pictures of anything not pictured are needed let me know.

sbe-1.jpgsbe-2.jpgsbe-3.jpgsbe-4.jpgsbe-5.jpgsbe-6.jpgsbe-7.jpgsbe-8.jpgsbe-9.jpgsbe-10.jpg

I'm guessing there were zero offers, or at least none that were reasonable......
It is (was) an attractive radio, but at the same time it is just a very very old 23 channel CB and likely needs a bunch of work (recapping etc.).

Someone would have to be really into old SBE gear in a big way 'cause by the time it's bought, shipped and repaired & aligned you could be out a whole bunch of coin and a whole bunch of time..... for a 23 channel radio.

The Console II was popular with the sideband operators in 1975 or 76. The transmit audio was good, and the receiver was okay. Just the same, do you arrange a full rotisserie rebuild of a 1975 car? Or just send it to the cruncher because nobody is willing to pony up the price of a rebuild?

Past that "awkward" age around 30 years the cheap options to make it useful pretty well just evaporate. The Console II is uncomfortably close to 50 years old.

This radio was more like a Lincoln than a Ford, but the list of folks willing to invest what it takes just gets shorter every year.

Oh, and anybody who tried to use a Glenn VFO to run sideband knows better. It was good for AM only.

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.